brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Well I am going to buy my first off road bike the 450x as recommeded by forum people.

Now I have to load up on gear to keep me from ending up killing myself and of course to just look good while riding. I may end up falling a lot but I will look like a pro while I'm standing beside the bike.

Where can I get the best deals on boots, helmets, chest protector etc. Looked at the dealer but there usually high.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Douglas777 said:
where do you live?
Don't worry MX South ships everywhere.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Give them a call. They are really good guys and will walk through the various options with you. Customer Service is a big part of what has made them so successful.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Buy your helmet and boots locally, you really need to try them on first. Everything else can be sourced online for better prices. I am sure that MXsouth is an excellent starting point, but good deals can also be found at Denniskirk.com, motosport.com, and bobscycle.com (not sure if this URL is correct). Personally, I like EVS protection, but there is no specific reasoning for this. The Thor Force knee guard looks really good, and I know somebody that loves it. My son had acquired a pair of quadrants, and like them much better that his old knee pads.

Bottom line:
A helmet has to fit right, so you should never expect one to do it's job if you haven't made sure it fits right.

We have all worn shoes that don't fit well, and it sucks, they should be tried on as well. Don't expect a loafer (MX boots are heavy by nature) but you should try these on as well.

Most other gear is sized S/M/L, there isn't much specific fitment in it, so it can be sourced "sight unseen", but the high end stuff usually has bonus features that justify the extra cost. Buy the best that you can afford, and remember that last years best is cheap on the clearance racks.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Douglas777 said:
Again....where do you live?
If you are really curious, it's up in the right hand corner of his post, just like everyone else who fills out their profile completely.

where do YOU live?

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
XRpredator said:
If you are really curious, it's up in the right hand corner of his post, just like everyone else who fills out their profile completely.

where do YOU live?

He just updated that. It said "I don't know" before. I also live in FM Texas.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Most of the online retailers have closeout sections. Just buy last year's gear and you'll save a fortune. I bought some AStar Tech6 boots for $180, normall $270. I bought MSR pants and a jersey, normally $250 and I paid $75. Chest protectors, gloves, and goggles don't usually go up on clearance but they aren't terribly expensive at their regular prices. There are usually really good deals on helmets. I see a lot of $300+ helmets for $130 during closeout season.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
yeah go for closeout specials. Or go to a shop and try on the specific model of helmet or boots you like and take note of the size then go on the auction site EPAY (replace the P with a B) and buy the same model and size. As long as you try it on and know what size you need you should be fine.

Top Bottom