new rider looking for some advice please

spaceman

Oct 6, 2003
hello all.

i'm fairly new to riding and was hoping to find some good advice on a bike.

i have about $5500 that i can spend with no particular brand loyalty flowing threw my blood.

i'm 5' 7", 220lbs and would be doing most of my riding in the woods.

thanks in advance for the help!

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
i would brob get a kx-yz 250f if i were you cuz they have enough power to get you around and they are good with gas so you can go a good 100+ miles on a full tank they are desighned for supercross atmos pheres but are also used by alot of enduro fans so they are the perfect bike to get started on and if you like it you can get some jumps in with them without having to worry about the speed or damaging the lights cuz they are light with no lights

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Have you looked at the Honda XR400 (or bikes simular to that)? KTM makes some pretty OK bikes too (LOL)...but they're more $$$. If I had my choice of a woods bike, it would be a KTM 450MXC or EXC...that's just me though...

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
Try looking into the KDX200 or 220...they are awesome trail bikes and should fit you nicely. Check out the Canadian Daves KDX Forum or do a search online theres tons of info on them...

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My vote goes too the KTM 450 w/the majic button (electric start) .. Not sure how much it costs, but i rode w/a guy that was about your size and the bike was FAST :thumb:

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
I've got an 01' XR400, I love it. I'm about 5'10 and 240lbs. Good, strong, reliable bike, with very little to break (i.e., radiators). I've beat the crap outta mine and she's still goin strong. Good bike to start out on. I believe the 400 and 250 have about the same dimensions, seat height, etc. Nice plush ride, its like a Cadilac compared to MX bikes, and they still jump pretty good, wouldn't do any massive triples with stock suspension though. Next bike will probably be a KTM 450 EXC, Mmmmmmmm, electric start, Uuuggghhhhh. Gotta love the magic button.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Spaceman-Give some more info on what kind of terrain you want to ride.Both the XR and KDX have solid reputations but are ridden differently.What bikes have you tried so far?

spaceman

Oct 6, 2003
the only thing i've riden before is an old yamaha 125.

the terrain here is grass and wooded areas with mild hills.

no jumps or super rough stuff for me yet still i'm more comfortable on the bike

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
rickyd said a mouth full I think....the EXCs are pretty pricey, but the MXC, I think, with all that comes with a ktm is a good deal, you just won't have the E-Start...I hear that the MXC is one of the easiest kickin' bikes out there...or so I'm told...besides, you could always add an e-start later down the road. I haven't heard of too many dissatisfied KTM owners...

spaceman

Oct 6, 2003
at 5' 7" do you guys think i'd be ok with the seat height of most 250s which seems to be around 37" ?

i really appreciate all the help

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah a 250 would fit you but why would you want all that power??? You need some low end power.

For woods I'd get a KDX200/220 or a KTM200/300MXC.
Save yourself a grand and get a 2 stroke.
Save yourself another grand and get a KDX.

Top Bottom