Dizzy DRZ

Jan 20, 2003
I'm a new rider (less than a year) and have only ridden a handful of times. I am looking for a place to "practice" near Cary. At this point I would not be comfortable riding at an MX track. I'm just looking for a place to work on my technique and mess around.

The only guy I know who rides is out in TX. I've ridden with him a few times on his bike on what I thought was decent learning terrain. The only thing I have ridden here in NC is some powerlines in Morrisville.

Where I was riding here is pretty bad, lots of undergroth, bushes, tall grass. The "trail' also had some deep ruts from the utility vehicles going back there when it was muddy - those ruts being the main cause of most of my nasty spills.

I would be greatful for any information. Thanks.

herkeng

Jan 1, 2003
look under the pinehurst sc post. I wrote a thread about a couple of nice sandpit areas that I ride. Free and nice practice area to learn in. I hope they keep it open. I haven't heard anything about it in a while though. Let me know if you wnat ot ride sometime.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I'm not certain as to how far you want to drive, but TNT motorsports in Chester, SC has some real nice beginner tracks. They have 3 levels of MX tracks that you can work your way up to as well as an oval flat track in one of the fields. And if offroad is your bag once you build up a skill level your comfortable w/ you can try the 12mi. of trails. Very fun place and something there for everyone. The beginner MX track is Very unintimidating, and obviously the flat track is just that....flat. Anyway good luck and the same offer is extended as herkeng anytime your going down post a thread maybe we can get together and go for a ride.

max621

Jul 12, 2002
I have heard of a place called Buckleberry that is supposed to have some cool trails and open areas to ride. I've never been, but I've been told it is somewhere around the Wilson/Rocky Mount area. Maybe one of the bike shops could fill you in on the location. A good beginner MX track is in Archer's Lodge. It's just off Hwy 42 outside of Clayton. Let me know if I can help.

scotth

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Archer's Lodge is a good place to learn. It is open 7 days a week, so if you go at the right time you can have the entire place to yourself. :thumb:
Devils ridge in Sanford is also near you. It is a good safe track; all the jumps are tabletops and they limit the number of riders on the track at one time. They are having open practice for the next 3 Sundays.

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Herkeng,
If you are in Sanford (next to Devils Ridge) you are going to find Archers Lodge a HUGE waste of your time and a major disapointment. Devils R has soooo much more to offer. I think the last time Archers was groomed was before the last ice age.

Dizzy,
TX is a little far to get some ride time but as a beginner who is "not comfortable riding at an MX track" you would maybe enjoy the flat grounds of Buckleberry as Max stated.

davearm

Mar 29, 2000
There is a track north of Raleigh off Peebles rd (which is off mitchell mill rd) $10.00 on Sat/Sun. Acouple of small doubles, a big one and a tabletop. A couple of big bermed turns. All doubles can be either rolled or bypassed.
Dave

max621

Jul 12, 2002
The Pebbles Rd. track is very forgiving. It's really more of a kids track is my opinion. But it is fun. I'd like to see more jumps and things added myself, but just having a close by place to practice is great.

davearm

Mar 29, 2000
The track has many different aspects, so it allows you to experience and practice bunch of different things. It has some sandy soil, big berms, doubles, whoops, tabletop,etc. Good to help you work on specific area's or types of riding conditions. Also wide enough to allow people to pass or be passed safely. Plus its close.

Super_Dave5

Super Dave
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 15, 2002
I used to live in Raleigh and I always rode in Clayton, it's not far from Raleigh maybe 20 minutes. It's an old dump that was converted to a riding area. If you ask any of the local dealers in Raleigh, ie Kawasaki of Raleigh, they should be able to tell you how to get there. I know when I rode there most of the locally sponsored racers used to go there to practice, they have 2 or 3 motocross tracks and a decent woods loop. Good luck! :thumb:

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
buckleberry is rt outside goldsboro. its near cherry hospital. great place for beginners, a lot of wide open spaces to practice on.
mp

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Dizzy DRZ we're probably gonna head out to a place I found to ride off of ext.60 on int.85 this sat. There are a few flat open areas around there and some trails encompasing maybe about 3-5mi. Some of the spots on the trails are mildly challenging, but for the most part very tame and open. We're either gonna go there or to TNT which as I've posted before has some very forgiving beginner tracks. I should be accompanied by Ocechap and his family(wife and 2 kids who are also beginner riders.) as well as possibly madmark. Your welcome to join us. Just let me know. :thumb:

Top Bottom