Miller1820307

Sep 4, 2007
My name is Robert. I have always ridden quads and only a few times rode a dirtbike but it was 4 stroke. Will a 2000 YZ 125 be hard to get use to? I am 5"10 180lbs. My neighbor has a 2000 YZ 125 he said i can have for helping him work on his car and stuff. It is bored 20 over and has a fmf silencer. How do you think this bike will be and with me and the power band. i never rode abike with a power band but i mean i rode a rm 125 but never kickd the powerband in. so how is it going to be for me. some say it will stand up on me on pavement but prob not in the grass or dirt. any advice to me about it? another person said i could adjust the powevalve so that the powerband wouldnt be so snappy for me being new. please let me kno anything about this. just got a new job and dont wnat to get hurt just starting lol. would like to find out how the powerband is tho withouth wrecking. What exactly are the flywheel weights and what will they do for the bike? I seen they had 7oz and 11oz when i was looking at things. I dunno wat they will do for the bike. Will they make the powerband less snappy and smooth or what? thank you!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2007
Well I can help you a bit.

I am not sure of the "Powerband" on the YZ125, but it still sounds like a great deal for just working on a neighbor's car!

a 7oz Flywheel will allow it to rev easier and quicker. The throttle will be a bit touchy. It will not idle well on its own with a lighter flywheel.

I would suggest for first learning how to ride to go with the heavier flywheel, and stick with it if you are going to be trail riding.

It would also help to know what kind of Quad you are riding or have experience with.

Miller1820307

Sep 4, 2007
Well ive had experience on a Yamaha Blaster, Honda 400ex, and KFX 400. I have ridden all those for quiet sometime. Im new to a bike tho. Wat will the heavier weight do? So your not sure how the power band is on it? anyone else got some advice let me kno.

yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
well i have been riding dirtbikes all my life and when a guy on banshee pulled up on the side of me and said("you through that thing around like its a toy how about this") i was kinda iffy about it because the thumb throttle jus wasnt my style but after a riding it and getting to know the thing i thought to myself this was way harder than riding a dirtbike with a clutch for the first time so i would say get the bike just take your time with it. after riding quads for that long this should be a piece of cake.

and yes go with the heavier flywheel

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
Heaver flywheel prevents revving up very fast, so the power goes up slower than the light flywheel does.. Easier to control the bike with heavy flywheel because you know, flywheel is mounted to the engine to decrease unstabilities between 2 stroke of the engine. Power always goes up and down as the engine works, so flywheel provide a smooth increase rather than shaking etc.. So the heavier the flywheel, harder to change the balance(also rpm) because of the simple rule of physics: inertia increase with mass..

I hope that will help :cool:

Jan 3, 2007
Miller1820307, a heavier flywheel will creat more inertia witch in other words creates more rotating mass. To sum it up, a really big person on skis will be harder to stop because of the weight behind the motion of that person. The bigger person will also have a smoother ride because of all that weight to the ground vs. a small person who will be easier to stop and have a bumpier ride.

Also, detuning the bike (adjusting the power valves) will decrase when the valves open and how much they open. It also helps alot in making the bike less snappy.

A stock (or almost) YZ125 will stand up on pavment if you are trying (along with every other bike). During hard acceloration it might but its a dirt bike witch means you shouldent be on the road anyways.

yz80nbeast, you should try your best to type better so that younger people my age (or yours) dant look so bad.

Miller1820307

Sep 4, 2007
ya i use to have a blaster. they were alot of fun. and yah i let the powerband kick in. its wasnt much to me tho. mayb cuz im about 180lbs. they were alot of fun. so the flywheel thing is a waste or does it really help control from it revving up so fast?

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
if your neighbor is giving you a yz125, you take it, plain and simple, if you can ride a quad with out falling off, you can easily pick up dirtbiking, get the bike, dont worry about the flywheel, and just take it slow at first until you are use to the powerband

Top Bottom