bbike

Nov 11, 2003
hey guys, Im 16 and i have been competing in DH (downhill) mountain bike racing for 7 years now. I like all the jumps, I am confident on my dh bike doing drops ranging from 0-18 feet, i am also confident on gaps from 0-20 feet. This stuff might sound small to all of you gear heads, but you have to remember that im on a mountain bike, anyho, I am not a beginer for handling bikes. I am interested in switching fully to dirtbikes. I have ridden a 125 before (about 20 times) and felt kinda dead. The bike was a 96 rm125, the bike had no powerband at all. Since the bike was old and dead, i cannot for sure judge the 125 class. Are these things ballsy at all? or should i go with a 250. I am 5 '10 and weigh 190 pounds. What should i do, get the 125 or 250. Oh yea, I ride every day for about 3 hours so i will get good quickly and will not have the money to upgrade in 2 years. Thanks

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
My man, dropping off the side of mountains 18 feet and clearing 20 footers on a bicycle certainly does not "not sound like much" to this old boy!! Kiddo, you will fit right in to the dirt bike sport - GUARENTEED!! The 125's will be to small for you and your weight will not be an asset.. I have a nephew who was a "freestyler" /BMXer and he bought a KDX200. A couple weeks and he was jumping and riding wheelies like crazy. I dont think a month went buy after purchase and we had done the free mods, added a pipe to get him some more ponies.. If I were you, I wouldnt buy less then a 250!!! Once you learn throttle control you will LOVE it!! Just get GOOD equipment to (COMPLETE) compliment your riding and ENJOY the sport!!!
WELCOME TO THE SPORT!!
Woodsy

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
I am planning on doing alot of trail riding, and alot of of jumps. I was thinking along the lines of a cr250 if you guys dont think that the 250 is to much. I tried a cr250 once and could not believe how fast it was. Are you guys shure that the 250 is not to much? the other thing is that i only have 2900.00usd to aford all of my gear and the bike. I already have a jersey and pants, i just need a chestprotector and boots, i have a 661 comp helmet that was not designed for mx but will it be ok for trail riding. On the websight it says its not intended for mx, it seems strong to me but it is prety light compared to the much heavier mx helmets. should i just buy a 70 dollar mx helmet.? thanks

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
It sounds like for your recrational type riding a 250 is perfect. They are hella fast, and there will be some time in the beginning when you're afraid of it and most of your improvements will just be controlling the bike. Once you get that done I think you'll love it. I to started out on a 250, unless you are racing and want to be in the 125 class and 250 is smart because since you hardly ever are ripping on the engine, theres less wear, and less chance of seizure. Just run a clean burning oil like superM, Mobile MX2T, Amsoil and you shouldn't have to rebuild and clean your engine but once a every other year. Though if you ride 3 hours a day, your gonna have to more than that. Also dirtbikes take some care, and parts like the chain do wear out and need replacement, putting that stuff off costs more money in the long run when a chain derails or breaks and damages other stuff. I'm just saying that because you mentioned your limited budget, and to do tons of heavy riding like you said, it aint cheap, buying fuel, premix, oil, and other parts that break. Yeah a 125 has some big balls, but you have to keep up on the maintenace or like your buddies RM they go flat, and it really isnt cheaper for a 125 pistion and gaskets then for a 250s. At least for me, when it comes to my cranium, I dont like taking risks, brain damage don't heal. Get the MX helmet. Personally you don't need a chest protector, thats mostly for getting hit by rocks from other riders, but they do help in trail riding when you run into a branch or something that would normally make a painful scratch.
Good luck,
-Jim

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Sounds like you're 250 material to me. 125s are best for lightweight ppl. Just take your time learning throttle control on the 250 and in a few months you'll be just fine.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
awsome, the cr250 is going to be the bike for me. I tried one last year and almost pist myself. thanks guys

jesseyeadon

Nov 11, 2003
Go wiht the 250 you will grow out of the 125 fast. I had my bike for two years and I am ready for a new one. I riden a 250F and that bike is bad. You don't losse power at all once you get in it it is there. You just have to hang on so good luck with your new bike and have fun.

jesseyeadon

Nov 11, 2003
Go wiht the 250 you will grow out of the 125 fast. I had my bike for two years and I am ready for a new one. I riden a 250F and that bike is bad. You don't losse power at all once you get in it it is there. You just have to hang on so good luck with your new bike and have fun.

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
Yo BBike, just wondering why you are set on the CR250? Have you tried a YZ250? Read up on the bikes. You will find that the yz has a broader powerband-and for a newer rider it would be much easier to ride. It definately has more low end than a cr. Another thing, my friends who have cr's seem to have alot of jetting issues--trying to get it right week to week, where my yz is right on all the time. You can always add pipes and other things to get the power right for you, but money is an issue for you. Do you allready have a bike in mind, or are you still looking? A good idea is to check www.kbb.com and look at the retail and trade in values for the bike you are about to buy. Many of the used bikes I've seen are selling for a little over trade in value. I just bought a yz450f and offered the guy trade in value---and he took it! Try to get the best deal you can.

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
I forgot to mention that I have been riding a yz250 all summer, until I got the 450f. I'm selling the 250 because I like the power delivery of the 450 better.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
well, i already have a 98 cr250 in mind. Usually that would be a little old for me, but, i have ridden the bike and the engine is running strong and over all the bike runs like new. The cr250 just needs a new clutch wich i am buying also. I am going to be buying it for prob around 1800 with clutch included. That gives me more money to buy the important stuf like graphic kits and new handle bar pads and all that stupid stuff :)

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I wouldn't worrie to much about graphic kits and new bar pads. Get a good helmet, good boots, a pair of goggles and gloves and go ride. Also check rear tire, sprocket and chain, and top end compression.

Good luck, have fun.

Top Bottom