Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
Hello guys... I have apparently had an account here for a very long time (2 years it looks like), and i've ask this question once, but a lot has changed and so have the bikes so here is my question (again lol)

I currently have the option of picking up a 2005 KTM 250EXC for $3250, a 2003 KTM 200 (not sure on the model) for $3000, or a 2005 Honda 250R for $3300.

Logic says that I should get a 125-200 because of my size... I weigh 140 pounds soaking wet so I am fairly light... But after looking at the weight differences of a KTM 200 and a KTM 250, there is only 6-7 pounds difference. I figured that the 250 is going to whoop my butt for a while, but I will eventually learn to ride it just fine.

I do have a little riding experience on a Honda 400R but only about 5 times and never only on reaaaaally wide trails... I will be riding this bike for TRAIL and TRAIL only, no moto/super cross for me.

What do you guys think? As of this very moment I feel the KTM 250 is what I would most like to have, but I don't want to get myself killed.. I've always loved motorcycles and I've never had a problem controlling the 400, but it is way to heavy for me and I know it would own me on trails.

Some physical attributes about myself... I played baseball my entire life, and for my small size I am fairly strong and I have a super desire to not loose... I hate loosing in anything... So if I do get this 250 I will be damned if I let it ride me :P

5'10 @ 140-145lbs
VERY athletic (run, workout daily!)
Mature (Drive a 400rwhp Trans-AM daily, no tickets/wrecks!)
Broken arm (hurts when stressed in the middle of my arm... for good reason lol) and had surgery on both knees... They do just fine and only get a little soar after playing basketball (for some reason?)

I know I sound pretty set minded but I am very open and will ride any bike as long as its not green or yellow :P.

Thanks Guys/Gals,
- Troy

Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
hmm.. Since I am not getting any feedback, which is my fault for not following hte original rules :P.

1) 5'10ish
2) Very Physical, Very Aggressive.
3) Trail
4) Very little
5) Absolutely not
6) I work on my car, but this is a different beast so don't know. Good shops in this city though so not too worried about it.
7) I like KTM, and as far 2 or 4 stroke go I dont care so much as long as the bike is fairly light.
8) Cycle Shack, KTM, Husky, Husaberg etc...
9) $3000-$3500
10) Texas for the win.
11) 19
12) I'm an athletic person; baseball all my life.

Maybe this'll help get some response?

Thanks,
- Troy

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
Optimal, with your weight it would make great idea to have the 200. If your only trail ridding with no extream hills and high speed fire roads i would say 200. But on the other hand the KTM250 would have more bottom end so you would not have to be in the power for those tight spots, or step hills. Anyway the KTMs sound like your best bet.

Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
2 strokes for life said:
Optimal, with your weight it would make great idea to have the 200. If your only trail ridding with no extream hills and high speed fire roads i would say 200. But on the other hand the KTM250 would have more bottom end so you would not have to be in the power for those tight spots, or step hills. Anyway the KTMs sound like your best bet.
What are the differences in ride heights comparatively between a 200 and a 250 KTM? I would like to be able to touch the ground comfortably, but really the only reason I am leaning towards the 250 over the 200 is..

If the 250 is too big at first, I will eventually grow into it with experience.
The 250 is only 250 dollars more
The 250 is only 6-7 pounds more (according to the website)

Those are about the only reasons I can see getting a 250, however... Is there anyway to "lower" the seat or anything in that nature just in case it IS too tall?

Should I just man up and pay the extra $250 dollars, or be logical/smart and get the 200? Im not real sure what to do, I want something that I can grow on so I am not stuck with something too small, but I dont want to be an idiot and start with something that is just too much.

Keep'em comin' opinions are really the only thing that are going to sway me one way or another.

Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
I figured that there had to be a way to make it lower... I imagin I will just get the 250 and go with it.. Thanks for the help guys. Anyone have anything to say about which gear to get?

Top Bottom