New Rider! What bike will fit me? 1k to spend!

Sep 25, 2009
Hello,

Well first off I am new to the forum and dirt bikes, Looking for some advice on what bike to get.

Like I stated I am new to the sport and don't really know much about bikes yet! I do Plan on learning a lot though.

I am looking to spend about 1k for my first bike or lower, Mostly been looking at Craigslist since I can't afford to purchase a new one.

I have a lot of experience in Mini bikes, Go Karts & Sport Bikes so I know how to ride a bike but I know it will be different on a dirt bike.

As far as the bike, I am wanting to get a good well known brand ( Yamaha, Honda, KTM Etc... ). Not sure what to get 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. Really 100% unsure what will fit me the best.

What do you guys think would be a good CC engine for me?

Well if you have any models that you think will suit me best please post them , I'm on craigslist everyday looking ;)

Shelby,

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2 Tall & 190LB
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Medium
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with?
Dirt, Fields & Sand
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes
5) Do you think you will race ?
Eventually
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Unsure what will fit me the best.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Mid America Power Sports, Carries various brands.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$1,000 or less.
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?

Last edited:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I second the XR, they are bulletproof.

Be sure you know what you are looking for when buying a $1000 bike...or take someone who does. You can really get screwed in that range if you dont know what you are doing. I know because I have been there.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Yeh watch out....especially if someone is asking $1300 - $1400 and when you tell them you got $1000 they're like " oh, well if you got $1000 in cash then I'll take it". I'm mean c'mon....do they think you're trying to buy a bike with $1000 in food stamps or grasshoppers ??? Someone to quick to drop their price is trying to get somthing past you. Been there too many times as a youngster.

Mfillhart13

Oct 8, 2009
I don't think that's completely true. i bought an 03 rm 125 for really cheap, dropped the price from 1600 to 1300 and its been a great bike. You have to look at what the circumstances are such as the guy i bought it from just had a baby and had another on the way. When it comes to bikes though i would get a 2 stroke in your case for sure. Also i would get a 250, possibly Honda. they're great bikes and are easy to maintain. If you're looking for a lot of power get a yz 250.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
In that price range a decent 125 2 stroke can be found pretty easily. It's a good starter bike for someone your size and price range. My 210 lbs. buddy had never been on dirt before and progressed on my rm 125 pretty well. They do great in open fields and sand plus maintenance is cheap. You might end up with a money pit if you find a 4 stroke for $1k unless its older and well maintained. If you saved another $1000 your options would vastly increase but you could always sell a 125 and get most of your money back a year from now.

Top Bottom