katieMS

Nov 4, 2003
Hey all. I am a new rider only been on a bike once and I want to race in the TORO organization in Dallas, Texas. I was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and I want to do something fun and exciting before the disease takes it's toll. I rode yesterday for my first time on a XR200 and my boyfriend says I did better then him on his first time. (I am sure he was just being nice) I still need to get protective gear I was only riding in our large yard, (I'm also sure the neighbors loved that.) Anyway I was just hoping for some suggestions about anything and everything that you think will help.

Thank you in advance.
~Me

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hi Katie! You are certainly a bravehearted gal. Its great to hear of your plans to ride. I think you will find it to be quite rewarding and will get you in touch with lots of great folks.

I have a friend at work with MS, quite an inspirational woman. Keep us informed on your progress with the riding, we'd love to hear how its going.

Natalie

PS: Protective Gear = GOOD

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
my wife has ms but doesn't ride. email me or reply here if you ever want to talk to her about it.

katieMS

Nov 4, 2003
Hi MX547-

That is very nice of you to offer. I am a little scared mainly because with MS you dont know what will happen. I'm 21 years old and I'm blind in one eye from the disease and I've fallen in the shower 2 times. I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago and I have good days and bad. I am so totally excited about riding I can't hardly stand it. My boyfriend laughs because I walk around going MRR MRRRRRRRR (my motorcycle noise) But I really enjoy it. Any advise your wife has would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much
~Me

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Katie,

Welcome to the dirtriding family and DRN. You are certainly an inspiration. :worship: Good for you for wanting to tackle a new mountain in life. I guarantee you this one is fun. :thumb: Texas is close enough to the Reno area. :confused: You might want to check out the plans for the Valentines Day Ride. ;)

We're glad to have you chica!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Welcome aboard Katie :) Is the XR your bike?
Yip, protective gear is good :) As for suggestions, give us a clue as to what you want to know about & we'll try to help. One tip though, get a camelbak so you can drink lots while riding. Also try to keep the wheels downside, not upside (still haven't managed to get that one figured lol).
Definitely keep us updated & welcome aboard.
Oh, another thing you'll want to get very soon, is goggles. We have a guy in our club who has only got one eye & as we forget, we pass him on the wrong side sometimes so he just doesn't see us (okay, that's not me, I don't pass anyone & I never remember which side his eye is missing either lol).
Good luck with your newest venture & don't forget when you're out shopping & you're picking lines in the alley with your trolley while making motorcycle noises - it is totally normal & totally acceptable (even if others think you're wierd - that's their problem, we understand).
Take care & good luck.
Michelle

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Hey Katie I'm MX547's wife w/MS. One thing that's best to do is enjoy your riding to the max. MS is unpredictable - kind of like life in general - but you become more aware of some things. Like how good you really feel when you are in a remission period. Things I experience with MS will be different than what you encounter. I was diagnosed at 39 (2 yrs ago) but know I have had this for years but had chosen to ignore the symptoms. It was an eyesight problem that grabbed my attention. I awoke one morning, looked at the TV, closed one eye and discovered I could see the frame of the TV but couldn't make out the screen activity. I made an appointment with an optometrist who looked at me and then quickly asked which neurologist he could make an appt with for me. Yep, optic neuritis.

As for MX547, I had experienced some walking problems (yes someone would think I had been drinking due to staggering) so he and my dad installed a ramp out our front door. I got better with walking and then he went and broke his leg - cased a jump and mega damaged his ankle!

If you need to talk or want to e-mail just let us know! Maybe MX547 and our young MX'er will get to meet you sometime!!!

Last edited:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Hey Mrs. MX547 and Katie welcome to the site. Have you heard of the Mannatech line of products? A woman I work with has been taking them for years and swears by them. Mannatech is a multilevel marketing company that sells nutritional products based on phytochemicals (all the good stuff in food that is missing from our normal diet).

I'm don't use the product nor am I involved with the company but I've heard that some people with diseases like MS or even cancer have had some amazing results with the products.

Mannatech has a website at www.mannatech.com but there isn't a whole lot of info available unless you are an "associate".

There is a website for more information on the premise that Mannatech is based upon here http://www.glycoinformation.com/index.html

You may be able to find someone in your area that is involved with Mannatech to get more info, or I can get you in touch with the lady I work with for more info or contacts in your area.

I wish you both the best of luck and stay positive!

Top Bottom