Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Hey gang, I have a friend that wants to ride, he is real new to riding, and we are kinda just jumping in. This is the deal, I told him a ktm 200 would be great starter and keeper bike, but do to the fact there is not a lot of them for sale now I was going to suggest a kdx. He is 185lbs, novice. I never liked the suspension on them, would it be ok to suggest the kdx if your reservation is about the kdx suspension and the michigan whoops and how they dont work together as well as would other bikes. I am not sure what else to suggest at this point because i think it will take a season to get him to appreciate the ktm, but I need to get him out riding sooner, a kdx would be much easier to find. If anyone has a ktm 200 for 2500 or less let me know. He wants to find a bike very soon.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
I don't have one for sale, but after my KTM blew up, and I got back on my KDX, I'm rediscovering just how capable a trail bike it is. I'll always have one. I'm a bit larger than that right now, and after installing stiffer fork springs, think the suspension is just right for trail work. He could start out on a KDX (many people have) then move to a different bike if he gets into it,and keep the kdx for back up/ loaner bike. I'm glad I did. Good luck to him and welcome aboard.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Great, I think this is going to be what is easiest, again not to many ktm 200's out there, but should be able to find kdx.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Jim

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I started on a KDX, and then moved to a KTM200 5 years later. I really think for a 2 stroke, the KDX is the best beginner bike, much more forgiving and easier to handle the power, and mantainance on the KDX will be less frequent and cheaper. Suspension can always be reworked to suit your riding, and the KDX has lots of options to make it a better and a more competitive bike as he gets more comfortable on it.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
One thing to remember………….

The KDX has a wheelbase that is about two inches shorter than the KTM so no matter how much money you throw at the green bike’ s suspension, it will never work as well as the orange bike in the sand and whoops. Both my kids have learned to ride on our KDX and it is great for that purpose. It is also a great bike for tight trails. If I were going to Drummond, that is the bike I would want to be on. If you plan to ride a lot of sand whoops, the KDX will not be the best choice.

If you buy a KDX, make sure the fork springs are correct for your weight. The stock fork springs barely hold the bike up, let alone the rider. Also, spend the money for a set of Racetech Goldvalves for the forks. Buy them from Fredette Racing and Jeff will pre-assemble the shim stack for you based on your weight and riding ability. Those two mods will make a HUGE difference in the front end.

KDX shocks are OK but seem to be light on the rebound dampening. For sand riding, you will find that the rebound adjuster will be maxed out with the stock valving. There are lots of options for revalving the shock to give more adjustment. I just put a Goldvalve kit in the shock when I did the forks………a pretty good inexpensive option.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Great stuff, yeah I will go with this information. I just dont want him to get to discouraged, again, I think the kdx is the choice for this real newbie. Thanks so much for this, this helps me help him...lol...awsome!

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Hey Asrith, a fella I work with has a KDX for sale. '04 200. Call me and I'll give you his number. 989 777 8352. Or...you can call him direct. Dave @ 517-927-6079.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Jim - FWIW- the KDX has been the perfect bike for my son Mark - very capable bike but easy to start on. Fork springs are a must as well unless your buddy is a lightweight. Before the fork springs I hated riding Mark's bike - now, I find it rather enjoyable. That short wheel base does make for a nimble feeling bike. My KTM feels like its a mile long in comparison.

If your buddy gets a KDX and feels the need for a flywheel weight, I have one I can sell. I had it on my son's KDX to help with his transition to a full size bike and a two stroke. Helped him a great deal actually - made power management way easier, and bike less prone to stalling in slow stuff. Best of luck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Asrith,,, you indeed have received tons of quality/vital information here.. Tim the Badger chaser is absoulutly on target with the boinger info.. Something else that I found out riding KX/KDX's for years is get their japanese junk fish oil out of the rear shock - dont even wait till it feels icky.. It may be good for adding years to your life if you eat it but THAT STUFF IS JUNK FOR BOINGERS!! Its not that difficult of a job and just changing oil makes a huge difference.. Of course, revalving and springing to your weight is great but, you will be shocked how friendly that mono becomes on just an oil change..
Another item is greasing shock linkage - for some reason all my green bikes came thru shy on grease, grease em up and they last forever...
ANothe really great thing about a stock KDX200 is it REALLY takes to fairly cheap mods. Just opening the airbox lid wakens em up..
I had CW's son, Curt, over tonight and got to climb on his KDX for while.. I TOTALLY agree with Neal (2big) and KTMMike - those KDX's are so often overlooked and yet a VERY capible FUN woods weapon - especially in the nasty, tight, finger pinchin, shoulder bangin, knee nocken, log infested, sweat building, front end washin out, arm pump causing trails we in Michingan are proud to call home!!!
Now, a word about the KTM200 - WOWWWWW!! Please dont misunderstand what everyone is saying here.. The KTM is an AWESOME bike!! Anywhere the KDX starts to fail (in whoops, on a MX track, in pure HORSEPOWER, in frame fatique, in boinger tweaking possibilities) the KTM just begins to shine.. It truely is a marvelous bike BUT for the beginner and all around friendly bike that anyone can ride and have fun on, I too would go KDX.. Of course I would also be saving my cash for the next ride too cause no one can have to many hahahahah
Woodsy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
YOu really can't go wrong with a KDX as a trail bike. I had one and my son has one. I believe my old one that I sold to Sparkey is still going strong, he sold it to his nephew Nathan.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
woodsy said:
the nasty, tight, finger pinchin, shoulder bangin, knee nocken, log infested, sweat building, front end washin out, arm pump causing trails we in Michingan are proud to call home!!!

Sounds like Jack Pine 2007! :p

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
fatherandson said:
Sounds like Jack Pine 2007! :p

Sounds like FUN to me! (are we all warped or what?)

Jim - FWIW - if your buddy comes across a good deal on a used KTM, dont dismiss it. They can be set up for a new rider just like anyother bike. The KDX needs less to be newbie friendly, more to be a hard edged woods racer. My oldest son just started on a bike 1 year ago. We were shopping for a KDX, but happened to come across a great deal on a 2003 KTM 200 MXC, so bought it. He has had no issues at all with it. He did have a number of years on a quad, which I am sure helped out somewhat. We did do a bit to make his bike "newbie friendly" - Flywheel weight, G2 Throttle, powervalve adjust, some jetting changes etc. - none of which were to horribly expensive, some were freebies like jetting and powervalve. End result is a bike that has been super for him as a bike newbie, and has tons of "growing room" as he develops as a rider. (which is happening quickly). All of those bits of set up we did would apply to a 250 or other size KTMs as well.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Thanks Mike. At this time I was able to find a good deal on a 95 kdx 200 for about 1150. We are taking a look Sunday. I found a 94 250 exc, but wasnt sure if that is getting up there in age for a ktm, I have a 96, but kdx where same from 95 to present?
If anyone thinks a 94 ktm 250 exc might be better than the kdx let me know. Thanks again.
Jim

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
lots of KTM riders here recommending the KDX as a beginner bike :nod:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bucky63 said:
Just guessing but I believe spare parts are more available and cheaper for the KDX then the EXC.
Your way off on the guessing game. Parts for KTM are as ready available as any Jap stuff out there.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
Your way off on the guessing game. Parts for KTM are as ready available as any Jap stuff out there.

That's a fact since "most" KTM dealers have made a commitment to service the customer and actually maintain an inventory of parts.

I don't even bother with Jap bike dealers. They might have a spark plug or a chain in stock. Ask for anything else and they will say "ugh......we can order that for you". "Yeah, I can order it too and I won't have to make the trip back over here.......it will just show up on my door step!" And, it will be cheaper!

BTW, on average, part prices are about the same. Some are more expensive and some are less than the big four.

It's not that I have anything against Jap bikes (I own some). I just get frustrated with the lack of service.

If you go the KDX route, Fredette Racing is the only source you will need for parts. Jeff will put any part you need on your doorstep........usually in a day via UPS ground.

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I agree with Badgerman - I have had no troubles getting parts for my KTMs at all, and they are ALL to expensive, I really dont think the KTM stuff costs any more than any other brand - in fact, some items have decreased significantly in recent years (Heim bearings for example).

I also agree that MOST KTM dealers tend to be more committed - I have had 2 or 3 different ones come through for me in a pinch - though I did have one totally blow it - I asked "Do you have any barkbusters in stock" their response "Whats that?", and same dealer - "Any rear brake shoes?" (keep in mind KTM used the same rear shoes from like 1994 to 2003 125 to 525cc bikes) their response "Oh, we dont stock those, but can order some for you". (a certain Yooper KTM dealer came through for me and brought the shoes out to the race for me). Needless to say, I dont deal with the one who didnt know a what a bark buster is. Those troubles have been the exception - I have had WAY more troubles with Jap bike dealers of nearly all brands, local and otherwise.

Another thumbs up on Fredette - he often answers the phone himself - quite helpful. Was a great resource in setting up my son's KDX, and his prices were quite good.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Well we found a 95 KDX 200 for about 1100.00 it is clean and basically needs some minor stuff. I am going to be calling Fredette. I can see all the points made about the dealers, how true.

Thanks again,
Jim

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Asrith said:
I am going to be calling Fredette.

A funny story about Fredette Racing:

A couple years ago, I called to order an FMF Gnarly pipe for our KDX200. The phone rang and this very nice lady answered. When I asked for Jeff, she said that he was overseas and would not be back for a couple weeks (ISDE?) but she said she could take my order. So, I ordered the pipe and then I said that I had some jetting questions and I would call when Jeff was back in the shop. She said “no problem if you want to call back but you can run the same 42 pilot and 152 main that you are running with the stock pipe…..just try raising your needle one notch”.

Shame on me, eh? :whoa:

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Sorry if I might have steered Asrith wrong about parts. It's good to clear up the misconception. Good luck with the KDX. I think we have had three over the years, including the original 1980 KDX175 which started it all off with Jeff Penton as a factor rider and they all were great bikes. I think most will agree the KTM is more race ready stock then the KDX and that might make them less friendly for new riders (or less aggressive riders). But as Jeff Fredette has demonstrated over the years, the KDX can be setup to be a serious race bike too.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
That could have been Jeff's mother. I've seen her in the shop running a drill press. She has been involved for some time.

YT

1TRAK

Mar 19, 2005
Kdx200

Have had 3 kdxs , 86 air cooled , white 91 liquid cooled , and an 03 which is the best overall. All 3 worked well when massaged , but still havent found the ticket for deep sand whoops. Short of that theyre great! 1TRAK

Top Bottom