wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Replaced what was left of stock chain w/ RK x ring and a new 12 tooth sprocket. Bought a new one for back havent got around to it(47). Does it matter which way the fr. sprocket faces? It had a groove in one side and I put it facing out(Primary Drive)?? Anyway, after the 2nd ride I cleaned the chain w/wd, then good lube. And when I walked it across the garage the chain/sprocket were making alot of noise(new clicking noise?) - is this normal? Is there something I forgot to do - I'm paranoid. The chain guard doesnt look right either. Does the o/x ring still need the 3" slack as per the manual? Sorry about all the questions at once, I'm either extremely inquisitive(mom said), or really stipid(wife). Thanks

m1a

Oct 20, 2002
Clicking noise is normal, my manual has 2.75 max play also the rear block may be catching on the new chain and binding it till it wears in I put a 520 gold on mine and it wore some of the gold off till it wore bigger groves in the uhmw block.

m1a

Oct 20, 2002
Best I remember the front sprocket doesn't matter you can't mess it up and the rear will only work 1 way you can't do it wron the bolt heads are belved I guess you would say

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
wally
If I read your post right you didn't put a new rear sprocket on with the new front and chain? If so I suggest you slap it on. Everything new at once will provide the longest chain wear. Put your bike on a box lift and spin the rear tire. Is everything spinning freely? Chain rubbing is normal as long as it's getting placed back on the sprocket right. Best to have lots of chain slack than too little. I ran 3 inches of slack measured at the screw head that held the wear bar on the top of the swingarm on to bottom of the chain.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Especially if you HAVE the sprocket but just haven't 'gotten around to it'?

IF your rear sprocket is in poor shape, you're taking the money spent on your RK and flushing it down the terlit.

...and if your other chain was worn enough to be replaced, the rear sprocket is trash.

After two rides a lot of the damage will already be done.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
New sprocket is on. Didn't change right away cause it didn't look worn. According to the manual it didn't look so bad. When comparing the two sprockets (new/old) the gaps were similar. The front sprocket was noticeably worn. Can a slightly worn sprocket cause so much pain? How will I know if I damaged my chain? What should I look/listen for? Anyway, thanks for the input and wish me luck w/ the health of my chain.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
I would not get too excited about your rear sprocket. No sense in worring yourself over something that is already done. That being said
chain life will be longer with new sprockets and chain at the same time.
Some also say sprocket life will be greater when you change your chain when your suposed to. This is one of those things where i just change them if they look bad to me.
I would, if I were you look into a frp chain guide. That will fit the rk-xring perfect and wont rub like the stock one.
So I guess what I,m saying is , if there bad replace them.
I just reread my post..... I hope you understand what i am trying,(very ineptly i might add)... to say. Gosh I'm a boob.
Steve

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I assumed some stuff. Maybe wrong.

If your front sprocket was worn out (hooked/pulled)...and your chain was worn out (at the end of mechanical adjustment, measured overlength based on the pin-to-pin measurement)..if the rear sprocket was on for the duration, it would be worn, too.

With a new chain (108) and 12/47 combo, you should be around 4-5 or so with correct slack ( 2.25- 2.75 measured at the end of the slipper). If you're 6 or over, things got tweaked a bit.

The oem guide DOES rub on an o-ring master link clip some. The FRP unit is supposed to resolve that. Have heard from at least one that it didn't.

I just replace my clip once a year or so.

Like O&S says, if it's done, it's done. Next time, if you HAVE all the stuff, certainly better to do it all the same time.

Good luck with the health of your chain!!

Now...don't you feel better? Might as well! It's free!!

Time to go out for a ride!!!!!

btw...did the noise change at all with the r/r of the sprocket?

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
It's humbling being a neophyte. I'm learning to talk the talk, and ride the ride, yeah slight biff on my end - you guys are keepin me up and running though. I'm a weekend rider w/ time to work on bike during the week. The sprocket is on the wheel, but not on the bike, any thoughts about chain adjuster position w/ a 12/48 combo.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
..adjust to 2.25-2.75" as per spec (I'm remembering those numbers correctly maybe?).

Where that gets the snails positioned is pretty much btw...except for giving you an idea how worn (or not) things are.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Thanks Cany, my terminology skills are lacking, and missed the mark. On the back hub/bolts holding the back wheel is the "Chain adjuster" it moves the wheel in and out to reduce/ increase slack. Any idea where I should be w/ the 12/48 combo? I think there are 9/10 positions. Misplaced manual, will use proper terminology next time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom