ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I was trying to put on a new seat cover by One industry graphics . It seems to be a good cover the only problem I am having is how do you get it fastened back on? I have tried a electric stapler, large hand stapler and am how considering taking it to a upholestry place to have it stapled on with a air stapler. Is this how everybody else does it or what do you use? Do you use a large hand stapler and than finish setting the staples with a hammer?

Thanks in advance

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I had an upholstry shopt do it

He had an air stapler and made it look easy. He cut my seat foam too and charged me $25.00. He did it while I watched. I'd let him do my next one too- it looks perfect.

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I tried a common spring loaded stapler, and it didn't work. It didn't drive the staples in all the way. Then I tried shorter staples, and they still didn't work. Then I tried an even whimpier looking staple gun (not a paper stapler) that used staples with thinner wire. This worked fine. The size of the staples is more important than the strength of the gun. The head of the staple must clamp the material, not just the legs.
You can always buy the lighter stapler, try 1 or 2 staples to see if they'll sink into the plastic. If they don't, take it back, get your $7 back, and go pay the $25 for a proffesional job.
Other recommendations if you do it yourself:
Warm up the seat cover, either in the sun, or a clothes drier.
Position the seat well front to rear, and start stapling right below the saddle area of the seat.

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
I've always taken mine (done it twice now) to a local auto upholstery shop. Invariably they would have to warm up the material and finesse it, but it came out perfect both times. Can't beat it for $20.

It reminds me of when my wife and I tried to wallpaper a small bathroom in our first house. We wasted $60 worth of wallpaper, got mad and frustrated at each other and other mishaps (spilled glue, wadded up paper, etc), then paid a young man $40 bucks (plus had to buy more wallpaper) to come in and do it right.

Sometimes it just pays to go with the pros the first time!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I use a construction stapler, they are at the hardware store and are 10 -20 bucks. If your not sure what they are ask the store people for a stapler to put up vapor barrier but don't get the hammer type (you will know what this means when you see this one) as it is not accurate enough to put a staple were you want. Putting them on is way easy just make sure the cover is warm and start from the front get it on and centered. Then go back to the front and snug it and maybe use a hair dryer to make it stretch a little and staple the cover a little at a time from the front to the back under the seat base. Do not heat the cover right were the staples go as it weakens the material there. Put lots of staple in and file the edges of the seat base first so it does not cut the cover.

Takes about 1/2 hour and it makes you feel good when you see the results!

:cool:

Good Luck
Kevin

Top Bottom