jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
All:

A friend of mine just bought a new (to him) '01 KDX 200. He purchased it from Carrollton Kawasaki as used bike. It was a trade in but the paint wasn't even worn off the frame - basically it is a new bike except the seat cover had a tear in it. Anyhoo, enough rambling about how clean the bike was..

He originally wanted to just replace the seat cover, but after riding my YZ he really liked the slimmer seat. Does anyone make a replacement seat that is slimmer for the KDX?

If not - what seat cover do you suggest?

Thanks,
-jeffd

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I don't know that its much slimmer but Ceet makes a taller stiffer foam that works really nice on the kdx. It flattens the transition from the tank to the seat and allows you to move around much more easily. It might be just what he's looking for.

There no reason he couldn't trim down the foam. Most people find a belt sander works well to reprofile foam.

David

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I went to http://www.ceet-racing.com and didn't see anything for 2001 KDX's. :think
I saw the foam for older models, but at ~$60, I think that the belt sander might be a better solution.

Thanks,
-jeffd

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I did some more looking about and saw the Ceet gripper standard cover.
Since he wants a slim profile seat (and maybe a tad lower) it looks like that cover plus the sander are the ticket.

His original cover has a hole in it so might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

-jeffd

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
jeffd,
If your friend decides to go with shaving his stock seat foam he might want to go with a solid color seat cover. Matching up the graphics on a seat/shroud set after reworking the foam is a bit of a chore. I did this on my kdx and it has worked quite well, but it took some time to get it right. Draw some lines to follow with a felt pen and go slow. I did mine by hand with some 60 grit paper. I didnt trust myself with a belt sander;) I have some photo's of the process, let me know and I will e-mail them your way. Good luck.--Dan

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by acutemp
jeffd,
If your friend decides to go with shaving his stock seat foam he might want to go with a solid color seat cover. Matching up the graphics on a seat/shroud set after reworking the foam is a bit of a chore. I did this on my kdx and it has worked quite well, but it took some time to get it right. Draw some lines to follow with a felt pen and go slow. I did mine by hand with some 60 grit paper. I didnt trust myself with a belt sander;) I have some photo's of the process, let me know and I will e-mail them your way. Good luck.--Dan

Pictures would be great. Please send them to:
jldeford@netzero.net

Thanks,
jeffd

KDX Racer

May 11, 2001
Hey Dave,

I got my seat info from the Just KDX site. Your advise under Tech Tips, "Mods for tall riders" worked great for me. The Ceet foam is excellent with the stock cover or an after market "gripper" cover. Only 2 problems, one, getting that *&^%^** new cover on to line up with the BNG, and two, that gripper seat cover wore a hole in my THOR pants, got new thicker pants.

Top Bottom