notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Yesterday, I got my new Race-Tech fork springs (.44) and shock spring (5.2). :yeehaw: So this weekend or next week I'll pull everything apart to swap out the marshmallows :| that are called springs that are on the bike.

Some questions:
  • Do I need to buy replacement fork seals, and put this on when assembling the forks?
  • I don't have one of those nifty fork oil syringe looking tools. Is there another way to measure the oil level in the forks?
  • When I back off the preload on the rear spring, do I need a spring compression tool to hold it? Or will the spring be fully extended when the preload nuts are backed off?

Any other tips and techniques to help out a first-timer would be appreciated. :worship:

Thanks in advance for the help.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
notenuftoys said:
Some questions:
  • Do I need to buy replacement fork seals, and put this on when assembling the forks?
  • I don't have one of those nifty fork oil syringe looking tools. Is there another way to measure the oil level in the forks?
  • When I back off the preload on the rear spring, do I need a spring compression tool to hold it? Or will the spring be fully extended when the preload nuts are backed off?

1. There is no need to replace forkseals unless there bad.
2. I've done it two ways, 1st I made my own syringe thing
with a syringe, some tubing, and a peace of copper tubing.
The 2nd way I used was to cut a strip of posterboard fold
ends so it's the right length and fill oil up to the end of the
paper.
3. Not really sure I'v never taken it off

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
You don't need anything to compress the rear spring.

To measure the fork oil level just get a several foot length of 1/8" or so of clear vinyl tubing. Over fill the fork leg slightly and use the tube as a straw to suck it down until you suck air at the level you need to be (put a mark on the side of the tube first). The extra length of tube will hold the extra oil well away from your mouth. Blow any extra oil back into the bottle as you do this. Repeat for the other leg. Measure the oil level with the springs out and the forks collapsed completely. Just remove the handle bars and leave the forks on the bike. Rest the bars on your gas tank until you're done.

With those spring rates I hope you're pretty heavy and/or a very aggressive rider. At 230 lbs bare I run .43 in front and the stock 5.0 in back.

Top Bottom