Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Just got my new .42 fork springs, and know I've seen some info on install tips (without having to buy all the special tools!). Before I dig in, should I just follow the manuals instructions, or is there a better easier way?

Thanks,

Mark

thump365

May 17, 2001
fork springs

I just put in a set of 44's. It's simple. Put the bike on a stand, loosen the top clamp, unscrew the top fork bolts. compress the front suspension and your ready to swap springs. Nothing other than end wrenches are necessary.

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
That's encouraging! I guess the next question is...do I do the oil at the same time? Much bigger job, and still think 1 change at a time is safer. If yes, what weight oil are you using, and what height from top? I weigh 160 lbs.

Thanks,

Mark

thump365

May 17, 2001
Hey Mark,
As you suggested I would change 1 thing at a time. I run 10w @ 100mm, but I also have gold valves. I also out weigh you by about 35 lbs.

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Thump,

Got the new springs in and went riding at Gorman this weekend. The front was much more predictable and seemed to stay put. Oil is next.

Moving on to the back end. Still can't get the back end to behave in sand whoops. Tried more compression, had my spine shortened. Tried less compression and had a swapping rear end. Do I need a new spring here too. I know how to ride whoops, I really do. Can't figure what is off here? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark:o

Top Bottom