New throttle tube sticking, should I add grease?

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I just purchased a White Brothers aluminum throttle tube and when I turn the throttle it tends to get stuck and it does not return back. I think it’s the cylinder that is attached to the cable which rubs on the left side wall of the throttle housing. My question to you guys is, "When replacing a throttle tube is it customary to add grease or some type of lube where the cable is held in place compartment and also on the cable pulley compartment?" :bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
no.. I certainly have no idea what "everyone" is doing.. Just giving my opinion on what the best type of lube to use in a throttle tube.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Grease is too thick, your throttle wont snap shut with it. Graphite powder is good. Teflon or Silicone sprays might work, but will be a little more messy. I do use a dab of grease in the throttle housing.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The secret to a nice feeling throttle is to get everything spotless clean.
Everything, including the throttle cable.
Brake cleaner will work well.
Once cleaned well, use a penetrating type lube that evaporates just for a light coating. Something like wd-40 is a good choice here.

As far as moly and graphite...they will work well, but they can actually cause the action of the tube to feel a bit "gritish" or even a sluggish feeling. This will not be apparent at all when you are riding, just when you are in the driveway deciding how smooth it feels. A simple oil will feel better...BUT it will help to collect dirt and grime, which is what will degrade the feel more than anything.
Aftermarket tubes using bearings are another story, evaporating lubes with moly or teflon are best, as you have the life of the high-dollar part to also consider.

If a completely clean assembly doesn't work nice and snappy, then there is another problem.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Graphite IN the cables,very good.Any lube that will aid in dirt sticking,very bad.I use dry silicone spray or just keep the tube and housing clean.If it is dragging in the housing,you and white brothers have issues.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Just to cover the bases, make sure that there is a small amount of space betweeen the end of the bar and the tube, if they are rubbing, then the tube does stick. Once it is against the bar, you should pull it back off just a little. Then listen to everybody else.

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
Thanks guys. It works great. I cleaned everything with break cleaner and then used my Maxima Chain Wax on it. It worked good. I actually almost eat @#@#$ on my test run on Saturday. The throttle responded so good that I over turned the throttle twice but the good thing is that I mange to stay on the bike. Thanks again. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
jhuerta said:
...then used my Maxima Chain Wax on it.
It may work fine now, but that type of lube tends to goo up pretty bad since it is full of tackifier (gooey stuff that lubes nada and can collect dirt and grit).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Clean off the chain lube! The last thing you want is a throttle tube built up with crap that sticks open at the least opprutune time. I try to keep my cables lubed with MFR and the throttle assembly just clean with no lubricants. It's a "dirt" bike and when you ride in dirt that stuff will eventually end up everywhere. Since most folks tend to ignore the throttle assy until it gets to be a big problem or gets broken leaving it clean or at the most a light dry lubricant is my advice.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Just a quick note - brake cleaner will melt a lot of grips and penetrating lubes can leave the grips slippery. Be careful when flushing out the tube. I've used soap and hot water with a bottle brush scrub and then the garden hose. If you've used some kind of grease or tacky lube in there then you need a solvent as previously mentioned, but be careful with those nice new grips!

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom