New Throttle tube which is the best

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I’m looking for new throttle tube because the one on my bike broke. Could you guys recommend a good one. I was thinking about the ODI grips with throttle tube or the pro taper with bearings. I really want to get a aluminum throttle tube so that it could last me a while. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
jhuerta said:
I really want to get a aluminum throttle tube so that it could last me a while.

What in the world are you doing to your throttle tube?? I've never broken a plastic one since I started riding in 1973.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I bought a cheap aluminum one off fleaby and it's held up pretty well. Likely the next time we get one will be when my son gets his new bike this fall and I'll go with one of the models with the roller bearings in it.

TonyJeske

Feb 20, 2007
An aluminm throttle tube is important to have for the sake of preventing a dnf if you are a racer or for the sake of breaking because it your bike tips over when leaning up against your van when your getting geared up to hit the trails. Either way it is a good investment to prevent your day from being cut short. So for the guy that hasn't broken a throttle tube in the last 34 years good for him, he must be an amazing rider that never crashes or even simply tips over to the right because thats all it takes. I've used an assortment of aluminum tubes and in my experience if your looking for a smooth throttle the pro taper tube is the way to go, there is a down side to that tube, it takes a little modifying to make it work properly. The end of the bar needs to be enlarged for the bearing to settle inside the barend and it needs to be lubricated quite often. If your willing to take care of it, it's worth it. Now, I prefer the basic Works Connection tube. The quality of the part is excellent and it does its job. And you'd be suprised how smooth it feels as well.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Hey, I'm not saying it can't happen. But I've wrecked many times and continue to wreck regularly. I limped back without the ability to use the clutch or front brake so many times I now carry extra clutch/brake handles in my fanny pack. But when I wreck or when my bike falls over, I've never broken a throttle tube. Honestly, it never even occurred to me.

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
2strokerfun said:
What in the world are you doing to your throttle tube?? I've never broken a plastic one since I started riding in 1973.
I ride hard and I must let you know that I'm a newbe to make it worse. I was trying to keep up with amature trail rider who so happens to have a steering damper which is nice when going over whoops. Anyways so I fell pretty hard and it so happens that the trail we were on had lots of rocks on both sides which as you can guess hit the handle bar and riped my grip and cracked my throttle tube in half. Thanks for the input tonyjeske

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
2strokerfun said:

i have been riding about 19 years and i have broken two maybe three at most but i recommend the works connection or any one that doesn't have a hole in the end for dirt to get into when the grip rips ive never broken a works one and thats all i use now the ones i broke were the stock ones. i always replaced with the aluminum ones after

Top Bottom