ronv200

Mar 28, 2004
can anyone help me with tire selection for a 2000 kdx 200. I have been looking at Pirelli mt 16's but there rear tire only comes in 110/100/ 18 and i'm not sure if it is too wide. Any help

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What sort of answer would you like? Most riders have bents toward certain tires. Part of that is a personal point of view, part of it is where they ride. Neither of those apply to you.

There are old/new metric designations and the sizes of some manufacturers are 'small' compared to other's numbers for that reason. The 110/100/18 you refer to in a Pirelli indeed is not too big (as already said). Michelin sizing runs the same way.

Best bet (sez me) is to talk to other riders in your area hopefully on the same type bike to get a good idea of what works.

Hereabouts it's Dunlop 756s front and back. Period. Yeah..you see the odd IRC cuz they are cheap and last a long time. They also completely STINK as far as being used for their intended purpose..making your bike MOVE..and that takes TRACTION..and 'hard' isn't necessarily a good thing in that regard. Not around here anyway. 'Here' is about everything from decomposed granite (marbles when dry, snot when wet) to clay to lotsa rocks.

The local mx'ers use the same Dunlops mostly. I've tried 1/2 dozen different brands front and/or back...went back to Dunlops. 756s.

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
canyncarvr-- what kind of terrain are u riding with the 756's? I've been thinkin about those. I'm riding trails with mainly sand and loose dirt, maybe a short burst of hard packed dirt but its pretty rare

ronv200, sorry for hijacking your thread

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
Michelin S12 - rear, M12 - front is a great combo for the midwest with rocks and muddy terrain. Watch for Michelin's sizing, though, they are different.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Like previously noted, conditions in this area pretty much run from one end to the next. Not a lot of deep mud. Happens sometimes, though.

With a new tire (usually) several times a year, it's not long getting rid of (wearing out) something I end up not liking a whole lot. If you only retire once every several years I guess the choice would be more important.

Tried an S12 (michelin) once. A GREAT traction tire! Made the ground throb!! Didn't brake for diddle. Others like 'em just fine. I only used one. Maybe an M12 would work better. At some point you get to sticking with what you know does the job overall very well....and that's the 756. (just noticed the S12 rec above. Not arguing with your choice. I mentioned the S12 only based on my experience with it....not to gainsay your post. )

Opinions on this matter are a dime a dozen, and there's my $.02.

Top Bottom