tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Hi guys

I have been riding motocross for over 15yr and love it :-)
We took some time off from riding, well more like 8 yrs off. Building a house and working take's a bit of your free time away LOL.

Ok fast forward to 2011 we went a few nights ago and bought a 2011 crf 450r for myself and two 2009 crf 150r Experts one for my wife and my daughter.

We have always been 2 stroke people but did the 4 stroke thing. Took time to read the owner's manual for both the bikes.

The problem I am having is with the 150r one of them starts right up when its cold pull the choke out kick 2 times at the most and its running.
The other 150r pull the choke, kick if I am lucky 15 times and then it fires up.

Then its like a 4-5 min thing to get it to idle. Once it warms up, if you blip the throttle fast it will die.

The bikes do not even have 20 min on them yet should I call the dealer about this or what do you guys think.

My 450r runs good just kind of like a high idle after I come to a stop for 5 sec or so never owned a 4 stroke so all new to me.

Thanks for any info back.
Ron.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If it were mine, I would call the dealer. He should stand behind what he sells. Probably just needs the carb cleaned out if it has been sitting on the dealer floor for a while. Most likely a clogged pilot jet.

Pay close attention to the maintainence schedule on your new four strokes, especially valve adjustment.

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Thanks for the info I will give them a call.

I do know this weekend I was at the track and a few guys told me I need to change the slow/jet from the stock #38 to a #45 to get rid of the bog coming out of the corners.

Is this to big of a jump in jet size?

Ron.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Was the 2009 new from the dealer?

If you bought it from the dealer (new or used) I would definitely bring it back and get them to make it right.

Like Ol'89r said, it is probably a clogged jet. I have a TT-R125 that clogs its pilot jet on a regular basis. If that bike had been sitting around the shop for two years with gas in the tank then it wouldn't be surprising to have the jet clog.

Rod

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Was the 2009 new from the dealer?

If you bought it from the dealer (new or used) I would definitely bring it back and get them to make it right.

Yep new two 09 crf 150r and a 2011 crf 450r

I will give them a call and see what they say.

Ron.

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
I talked to the dealer today and he says both bike were new in the crate and gas was never in them.

He says to put like a tablespoon full of two stroke oil in the tank and some gas additive to get the ethanol out :whoa:

So do I take the carb out and see whats up or do as the dealer says.

So much for customer service :bang:

Could of took my $12,000 + and went some place diff.

Ron.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Your 2011 CRF450R uses a EFI system. There are no pilot jets. Be sure to tune the fuel screw first and if it is with in 1.5-2.5 turns out, then the pilot is fine. you may want to invest in an extended fuel screw for the 150Rs

The 150Rs have carbs. Time to learn how to work on your own bikes. You bought race bikes, suck it up. They are sold as-is no warranty. Get a manual and some tools and learn. Or pay someone to do the maintenance for you.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
tileman said:
I talked to the dealer today and he says both bike were new in the crate and gas was never in them.
Ron.

None the less, he should stand behind them. Especially if they were new.

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Matt90GT said:
Your 2011 CRF450R uses a EFI system. There are no pilot jets. Be sure to tune the fuel screw first and if it is with in 1.5-2.5 turns out, then the pilot is fine. you may want to invest in an extended fuel screw for the 150Rs

The 150Rs have carbs. Time to learn how to work on your own bikes. You bought race bikes, suck it up. They are sold as-is no warranty. Get a manual and some tools and learn. Or pay someone to do the maintenance for you.

Where do I get the extended fuel screw for the 150Rs
I see they are real short there :nod:

I do love to work on my bikes but after spending the money I just did I should not have to kick the 150r over 15 times to get it going.

That's a little to much to suckup :yell:

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Ol'89r said:
None the less, he should stand behind them. Especially if they were new.

That's what I was thinking :nod:

And he still says they were new in the crate. Cause he says they come two to a crate.

I know there's no warranty but heck 15 kicks to get it going.
And the bikes new out of the box.

Ron.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
you can complain, whine, post etc all day long. It is not going to solve your problem any faster.

Go find a new bike shop, ask them for an extended fuel screw and repair/service manual for the 150rs and the 450r. Motosport.com is always a great place with fast shipping and great prices.

After that, clean the carbs on both of the 150s with carb cleaner and compressed air. then they will start within 1-3 kicks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom