jake3240

Jun 22, 2006
Hi. I 've been wanting to get a bike for quite a while, but until now finances would never allow me.

1) your physical size
19yo, 6' 140lb

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
moderately

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mostly dirt trail riding with friends on quads

4) Do you have any riding experience?
no. have ridden quads & go mountain biking pretty often though

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes. I can do most everything except for major repairs/overhauls.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke. leaning towards a yamaha, maybe a honda

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Honda, Yamaha

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
~$4000 will be buying used. 2003-2005 preferably

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

My main concern is power and weight of the bike. I'm leaning toward a 250/450 four stroke. I'd rather have the extra grunt of the 450, but I'm just wondering if the extra weight would make it unmanageable for me.

I'd appreciate any help.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You really need to find some people and ride the bikes.

At your weight, the 450 will likely feel pretty heavy. I don't know that I would recommend a 450 to a newbie on bikes. They have A LOT of power and torque. Not that you couldn't be careful and get used to it - you could.

But I suspect you might enjoy the 250f more as a first bike.

My buddy is a local B rider. He's about 5'8", 160. He has a KXF450. He recently rode the identical year KXF250. He was almost shocked at the difference in weight and "flickability." He wants both. :laugh:

When I was testing my buddy's 450 at our practice track, I found it challenging to control the power when exiting soft corners. I ended up completely sideways a couple times.

Top Bottom