New to dirt riding

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
I will look around per your instructions. It's gonna take me a few weeks to get things set up, though. :) I'll post a pic of what I find before we rip it apart. Thanks very much! :ride:

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
buju- All of the jargon will come to you in time. I started here a few years ago just reading and messing w/ my bike, now i know them inside and out. Just be patient, read everything you can and dont be afraid to get your hands dirty.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
oldmom's and spud's summer work project

thanks. I had seen the 2 strokes/4 stroke discussion in howstuffworks last year when I bought my bikes. I don't recall looking at the motorcycle read, though.

I also found this site, which has some great articles on-line:

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/articles/22techtips-to-keep-bike-running/

(Just one of many articles with pictures! )

I also found an excellent reference through a DRN kdx discussion to this article. (It references three other good overview articles):

http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/kips.html

Here is another DRN post with step by step pictures:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=148781&page=1&pp=10

(Seems like the kawi/kdx folks love to take pictures as they work.)
~~~~~~~
7/5/01 update.

Two weekends worth of cleaning, moving, and selling... but The Prep is done. Everything is sold. Books arrived today. The engine will be here Monday. I'll sleep with Eric Gorr's book & some wrenches under my pillow and expect to be a genius by the time the engine arrives.... ;)

7/6/07 Duh. How can I be so slow to THINK!! Like not thinking of using those cameras to document my destruction, I never thought to tap into a resource close at hand.

My buddy who used to work as a certified mechanic for Honda here has agreed to let me look thru his tool-box to get a better idea of the right stuff/quality stuff I'm going to be needing for the task at hand. With any luck, the post-honeymoon bliss that caused him to quit the second job he loved so dearly will cloud his judgement. I'm hoping he'll decide to unload those tools. ;) That would be sweet. If not, at least I'll have a much better idea of what I'm going to need in the long run. Win Win Win.

Last edited:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
L'il Spud grabbing two of my socket wrenches from the spotless "shop" (aka porch) I just set up:

"I am Rodney Copperbottom and I can fix anything"...

(Lil Spud is like one of those klepto birds that steals shiny things and hides them in her nest. At least half a dozen of my shiny things emerged from her bedroom toy box this week....)

Our first two projects are non-moto.

1.) Completely tear down, lube, and adjust a ten speed touring bike (age 21 years, number of times ridden, less than ten...)
2.) Clean, lube and adjust the rear derailleur and flat on my "tank" (about town bike similar to a mountain bike).

First Question for you Ol'89: My porch has screens and jealousie windows. It is dry, but subject to the variations in seasonal humidity, etc. Do I need to do anything special to keep the tools from taking on moisture? Silica in the storage bins, etc. etc.? Did they even have tools before they invented climate controlled work cells and what did those ancient people do to make sure the tools etc. didn't rust?

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
olderndirtmom said:
[/list] First Question for you Ol'89:Did they even have tools before they invented climate controlled work cells and what did those ancient people do to make sure the tools etc. didn't rust?[/I]

:whoa:
Well, as you can well imagine mom, most of my tools are carved from wood and stone and wrapped with leather straps. Rust is not an issue, my biggest problem is termites. :nener: Although, the moisture can change one of my 12 millimeter open end wrenches to an 11 millimeter on a very inclement day. ;)

These days they have this shiny stuff on the tools called chrome. Rust is no problem unless you have machinery that is made of cast iron. The machinery will come later. Now that you're hooked. :laugh:

Moisture is a problem for the insides of engines though. If you plan on having an engine sitting apart for any length of time it could cause parts of the engine to rust. Security may be an issue where your tools can be seen from outside. Tools have a way of disappearing.

Dust is a big issue. Make sure your work room is dust free and dust tight under the doors.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Ol'89r said:
:whoa:

Dust is a big issue. Make sure your work room is dust free and dust tight under the doors.

This isn't some male trick to get me to operate a vaccuum and learn to clean is it??? ;)

Big Machinery would be Way Cool.....Make me a list of what I'm gonna need, will you?....

THANK_YOU! :)

Last edited:

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
olderndirtmom said:
thanks ol'89r. :) In short, I'm gaining momentum to actually buy a set of tools (to be kept away from the abyss that is my hubby's mess), a junk bike so I don't screw up my bikes, and teaching self and 11 year old some tricks. Be nice to know the function of the parts, rather than just rip things apart and put them back together. Though that is good, too, I suppose.

If your just interested in how an engine works save yourself some money and buy a lawnmower. Seriously, the basics are the same wether it be a lawnmower,dirtbike or car.

If you want to learn about two strokes buy a weed wacker or something. You might also take a small engines course at you local community college.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
PAYFER Engine & Motorcycle Repair Videos.

1 year follow up to this "I'm new to dirtbiking how do I learn about the mechanical stuff" thread:

My 12 year old has been keeping busy after school tearing a bicycle apart. She is patiently awaiting the go ahead to rip apart the "real" bikes....apparently more interested in ripping them apart than riding them right now. Our first tasks are the easy stuff: teaching her to change the oil, clean the air filters, tighten spokes...checking the chain slack, etc. Oh and some slightly more interesting stuff: cleaning the jets on one bike, jetting another for summer riding. Then we'll move up to destroying an actual engine. I mean, dissecting one.

Unfortunately, with the fun stuff comes the harder parent teaching your kid part...Getting her to focus on keeping things in order and putting them back together. She disappeared for several hours and hands were coated in black, so, the interest is definitely there...It is just a matter of finding the right approach.

The manuals (bicycle and motorcycle) I tossed in her direction have so far been ignored. The books don't grab her interest either. She's going to be willful and not educated. Argh. Not good for the mom, by any stretch. I'm no Parent Magician!! However, today I stumbled on a couple of videos that may be useful in keeping the parent-child will-clashing to a minimum if we watch them together. I'd like to add them to the above list of references for beginners trying to get past nodding stupidly at the natives to understanding what it is they are saying.

The first is a website which has several somewhat comprehensive beginner's courses in engines.

http://www.cambridgeol.com/id/10694/Small_Engines.htm

You can buy a single video out of any series or the entire series. Very pricey as they are marketed toward educators. They are very short. I ordered two for starters- to check out the quality and "hold my 12- year olds interest level". (Mechanical Science & Engine Disassembly) Mostly I'm just hoping to jump through the "you need to be organized and conscientious" hoop. For me, worth the dollars. Maybe not for you. Like I said, These are not cheap. There is also a way cool 3 part cd-rom where you fool around with an engine displacement calculator and compression ratio calculator...And multiple choice tests for those who are so driven to be empirically scored and validated. Could be fun....again... mid-range pricey.

Two much better values (if we are talking $ per minute) are two motorcycle videos produced by Motopowervideo Productions LLC.

Basic Maintenance I DVD for all Motorcycles
http://www.createspace.com/Store/ShowEStore.jsp?id=215545

and

keihin carb tuning
http://www.createspace.com/Store/ShowEStore.jsp?id=215036

(They even have one on installing your rekluse clutch.)

I'll let you know if she can sit still for them & how the quality is. She seems to prefer the tried and true get your hands dirty and get in there approach. But, we'll see. She can sit still for the history channel, so this can't be any worse. :whoa: Can it?

Thanks again for the tips. The book and other reading selections have been excellent. I've added quite a few others to my library since 1 year ago. It's a slow moving ship, but it is moving, and on course. :cool: The kid is primed. Keep your fingers crossed I don't wreck it for her. :)

Last edited:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Reviews of Pay-fer DVDs

Update to the updates. I'm dedicated to adding to this list of resources for the newcomer who really wants to learn about engines and motorcycles.

I purchased the above videos. They are great for a general understanding. The ones for educators (cabridgeol.com- link) are very short, overpriced for the information passed, and a bit silly. Having said that, my very immature and non methodical 12 year old sat down, took notes and it held her attention. She was ready to tackle a lawn mower engine. Most importantly, there was no parent child angst as I tried to explain and she didn't want to listen.

I couldn't-with good conscience- recommend someone pop money down on that, at that price. For an educator with 20 or 30 kids, sure. As much as I'd be interested in the whole series, they are flat out overpriced and too general.

The two motorcycle-specific dvds are good. I know some of the DRN guys here would have a couple issues with bits of the information. That aside, it is good stuff for a beginner who needs it all spelled out plainly with visuals.

Last edited:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
FREE Learning Aid Repair Videos

But for FREE- I've stumbled on a whole collection of motorcycle repair videos:

The first is a you tube link I swiped from another forum:

Valve Clearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEW-P7yGtAk&feature=related

I found many other repair videos on you tube- but some of the advice is pretty sketchy. It's a resource to investigate.

A library of posted FREE/QUALITY videos can be found at rockymountainatv/mc.

http://offroadvideos.magnify.net/

I think videos are FANTASTIC resources for those of us who need visuals to get past the jargon.

My work here is done!

Last edited:
Top Bottom