New to dirt riding

buju

Apr 18, 2003
I wish there was a good newbie tutorial out there, that would at least explain all the terms you people use and give some basics. There are so many questions that I see being asked repeatedly on the boards here, and they're always answered with all kinds of engine terminology... If I knew what all these words meant, I would know how to fix everything!

For example, I've been looking around at how to winterize my bike. The only help I can find comes in the form of "main jet access plug hand turn engine drain crankcase carb float bowl, etc. etc. etc."

Now that's all fine and dandy but I'm an idiot and haven't even been able to get my XR to run right because I can't understand all this jargon. I don't understand if some of that is only related to two-strokes, but I don't even know what my crankcase oil is or if I have any. There's just no way to understand people's advice if they use terms that aren't explained. And I can't find a source that explains what a crankcase or a float bowl is. And I can't count how many "Jetting 101" articles I've read that don't make an ounce of sense to me, because you have to understand how it works in order to understand the newbie guide!

All I want right now is to figure out how to winterize my bike so the carburetor doesn't explode and the camshaft rusts to the intake valve of the flywheel. :(

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Man, Im n ot sure what to tell you. I think reading everything you can and asking questions is good. The only way to understand what things are or what a part is is to ask and learn. I think the more you are around it, the more you will eventually know. I dont know much but technical people can dumb-down information if you ask them in a nice way. People here are friendly and full of info. You have been around long enough to know that!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
May want too go pick up a manual for your bike, a good source of info, and directions on how too work on your bike..
Rick

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
First of all, your not an idiot. An idiot would sit back and quit, not asking any
questions. Sencond, feel free to ask anyone to explain what they mean.
I've been riding for about 7 years and I learn something new every time I get on DRN. You know your way around, you found the flame board and flamed ...us, so just keep digging and asking questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask! :thumb:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Copy and paste this in you tool bar(or type if your board). Its a tread over on the KDX forum about what to do for winter.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88938

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
First of all I see you are here in lovely St. Louis with myself, GnarlyKaw, H2O, Colemanapp and a few others. Don't winterize the bike at all, most of us will be riding at least a couple times a month all winter long. E-mail me and we'll try to hook up down at St. Joe or something.

Drnspode@charter.net

buju

Apr 18, 2003
Thanks for your help, everyone on this board is too kind...

Hope I didn't come across as too much of a jerk, it's just real frustrating trying to understand everything when I'm completely new to the sport. Then again, that's why I came to the flame board :)

MrLuckey, I'll definitely send an e-mail your way, but before I go riding I think I want to put some work into my XR, maybe take it to a mechanic since I'm not sure what I'm doing yet... And I need to buy some serious jacket and gloves to ride in the winter. But hopefully I'll get it done soon and come out with you guys some time.

Thanks
Ben

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Ben, i'm learning too. I did a lot of nodding my head and smiling while guys where talking about their bikes. I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I have an idea what they are talking about but still don't know how to do much of this stuff myself. I did a search on "motorcycle repair" and "motorcycle maintenance" and found a website http://www.dansmc.com he provided some good information and I just bought a book to explain the basics to me "Motorcycle basics techbook". It explains how engines work and the differences between 2 and 4 strokes. maybe soon I won't have to pay the mechanic $60 an hour to do the basic stuff that I should be able to do.

Good luck :thumb:,
Guy

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Definately check the above listed site. When I read you first post I was thinking of suggesting that site! I have read the whole thing and its great read. He explains thing pretty basic and has pics to show what some of the parts he is talking about look like.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You want an excellent place to start besides just asking here on DRN? CLICK
I assure you this purchase will give you plenty of great information in a reasonably easy to understand format.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The manual for your XR is a sure bet. Getting a mechanically inclined buddy to help you work on your bike hands-on is another, you'll learn LOTS when you're actually in the thick of it and its a lot of fun too. Read and ask questions. I'm doing a whole lot more basic maintenance on my bike than I was a year ago and I'm actually starting to understand what my friends are talking about. Good luck.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Find some riders to hang with. Almost every friday night the local riders gather in my garage to bench race. We just BS about everything motorcycle. That kind of conversation will teach you more in an hour than you'd ever get in a book.

Some of the information is true too. You can get real drunk at the same time.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by RV6junkie

Some of the information is true too. You can get real drunk at the same time.

So that is what has been happening tome and my buddies, I thought it was the gasoline :)

www.howstuffworks.com is also a good site if you do not know how say your carb acctually works.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Any further thought son this web site & book?

gxdragon said:
Ben, i'm learning too. I did a lot of nodding my head and smiling while guys where talking about their bikes. I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I have an idea what they are talking about but still don't know how to do much of this stuff myself. I did a search on "motorcycle repair" and "motorcycle maintenance" and found a website http://www.dansmc.com he provided some good information and I just bought a book to explain the basics to me "Motorcycle basics techbook". It explains how engines work and the differences between 2 and 4 strokes. maybe soon I won't have to pay the mechanic $60 an hour to do the basic stuff that I should be able to do.

Good luck :thumb:,
Guy

Bringing back this old thread....Wondering if, a few years down the road you found the site helpful, and educational?

Also, wondering if anyone has any other reviews/thoughts on at-home study of the basics (in addition to the obvious recommendation of referring to the service manual)? Thanks!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Eric Gorr's "MX & OFF-ROAD PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK" would be a good source of info as would any of the bike specific books he has on his site.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
olderndirtmom said:
wondering if anyone has any other reviews/thoughts on at-home study of the basics (in addition to the obvious recommendation of referring to the service manual)? Thanks!

olderndirtmom.

For basic terminology, click on the 'MotoSpeak' link at the top of the page.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Ol'89r said:
olderndirtmom.

For basic terminology, click on the 'MotoSpeak' link at the top of the page.

thanks ol'89r. :) I've found the MotoSpeak helpful, albeit limited. I'm truly looking for engine study courses. I think a lot of the kids (and other youngunfilled mushbrains like myself) could use some direction. A lot of the sites I've looked at over the last year I've seen referred to on DRN so I am hoping I'm barking up the right trees, so to speak. :nod:

In short, I'm gaining momentum to actually buy a set of tools (to be kept away from the abyss that is my hubby's mess), a junk bike so I don't screw up my bikes, and teaching self and 11 year old some tricks. Be nice to know the function of the parts, rather than just rip things apart and put them back together. Though that is good, too, I suppose. :laugh:

Thanks Patman. I've been to his site, and have a couple books in mind. Helpful recommendation.

More recommendations anyone?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
olderndirtmom said:
a junk bike so I don't screw up my bikes, and teaching self and 11 year old some tricks. Be nice to know the function of the parts, rather than just rip things apart and put them back together. QUOTE]

That's an excellent idea mom. :cool: Can I call ya mom for short? ;)

Many, many years ago, my first bike was a 'box job'. (That's a bike that is completely disassembled and comes in a box. Or several boxes.) It didn't run when I bought it. It didn't run when I sold it and it never ran in between. But, by taking it apart and putting it back together, I learned how the engine worked. How the gearbox and clutch worked and the basic things about the workings of an engine.

It didn't matter if I messed something up since I didn't have much of an investment in the bike and It wasn't that important if it ran or not. What I learned about the engine was much more valuable than my initial investment, somewhere around 35 bucks. :nod:

I strongly suggest you do that. If you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them as you go along. That's what DRN is all about, helping each other.

I truly applaud you for working with your 11 year old like that. That is very cool. :worship:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I agree, if you know how something works it is much easier to diagnose a problem or perform any sort of repair or maintenance. I highly recommend Eric's book, the 3rd edition is now available. It explaines almost everything, though in a general way. With this and a good service manual you can generally feel fairly confident to tackle most repairs yourself. A digital camera is also a great tool. If something looks pretty complicated take pics as you disassemble. You and your child have alot to learn about a very interesting hobby, good luck. :cool:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
olderndirtmom said:
thanks ol'89r. :) I've found the MotoSpeak helpful, albeit limited. I'm truly looking for engine study courses. I think a lot of the kids (and other youngunfilled mushbrains like myself) could use some direction. A lot of the sites I've looked at over the last year I've seen referred to on DRN so I am hoping I'm barking up the right trees, so to speak. :nod:

In short, I'm gaining momentum to actually buy a set of tools (to be kept away from the abyss that is my hubby's mess), a junk bike so I don't screw up my bikes, and teaching self and 11 year old some tricks. Be nice to know the function of the parts, rather than just rip things apart and put them back together. Though that is good, too, I suppose. :laugh:

Thanks Patman. I've been to his site, and have a couple books in mind. Helpful recommendation.

Talk about a cool mother for a boy! Sure beats baking brownies or decorating cookies!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
olderndirtmom said:
thanks ol'89r. :) I've found the MotoSpeak helpful, albeit limited.

I also disagree with some of the "definitions". For example, "bail" is NOT a bundle of hay. That would be "bale". And "basket case" used to refer to a situation where someone attempted to fix something themselves, got in over their heads and end up bringing all the parts to a repair shop in a "basket".

olderndirtmom said:
I'm truly looking for engine study courses.

Way back when I was in high school they used to teach "auto shop". They sure don't do that out here anymore.

olderndirtmom said:
In short, I'm gaining momentum to actually buy a set of tools

Spend the money and get a good set of tools. You can buy some really cheap tools but you get what you paid for. There is nothing I hate more than having break and in turn mess up what I was working on. One time I was using a cheap breaker bar trying to loosen a tough nut and the @@#%^& thing shattered in my hand. Not only did I smash my knuckles on the frame of the car but I had shards of steel embedded in my palm.

There are some really good brands, such as Snap On but they are very expensive. There are a few respectable brands. I have always used Craftsman tools. On the rare occasion that one has broken (don't put a four foot cheater on a 3/8" socket....) I just took it back to Sears and got a free replacement. Buy a full set when they are on sale (there are usually good tool sales around Father's day!)

If you are going to buy a bike that needs fixing to get experience on then I would recommend that it not be too old. A ten year old bike is fine, still lots of aftermarket parts available. But a 20 year old bike can be a real pain to find parts for. If you have the time and space make a big project out of it, strip it down to the bare frame then build it back.

Hint: Take pictures, lots of different angles, before you take it apart and at regular intervals through the process. When it comes time to put it back together the pictures can be very useful in figuring out what went where.

Good luck!

Rod

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
keep 'em coming... these are helpful!

xsnrg said:
Talk about a cool mother for a boy! Sure beats baking brownies or decorating cookies!

Well, I'm probably too old to have another kid, but I'll keep that under consideration if I ever adopt a boy. Meanwhile she's pretty excited at the idea. (The 11 yr old is a girl...Waiting for her first motorcycle, too.)

But thanks! ;)

I probably should have gotten her started years ago because she has loved tearing things apart since she was an infant. I've been nothing but a hindrance til now! However....This really smart guy I know told me there is no age restriction on learning interesting things. WHO KNEW!???

Ol'89r, yes, mom is fine. I was wondering about buying some sort of cheap box bike. But $35... Wouldn't that be like 10 grand in today's dollars?? Surely I can find something cheaper?? ;) Totally kidding. I will begin searching.

Rod & Joe, thanks. Given how many digital cameras I have laying around here, it still wouldn't have occured to me to document my progress (or destruction, as the case might be). double "doh!" Thanks.

Keep those ideas coming!!

Last edited:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Okay, so you guys got me so jazzed up with this idea that I made my family haul stuff out of our basement (kind of more like a tall crawl space) for three hours today!
TALK ABOUT MOMENTUM BUILDING!

Now if I can just sell enough of this cr** to fund the tear down bike... :debil:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
olderndirtmom said:
Ol'89r, I was wondering about buying some sort of cheap box bike. But $35... Wouldn't that be like 10 grand in today's dollars?? Surely I can find something cheaper?? ;) Totally kidding. I will begin searching.
QUOTE]

OUCH! :ohmy: Shot through the heart. ;)

It's a good thing I'm such a thick skinned ol' fart. :rotfl:

Mom. Check around an see if there is a motorcycle salvage yard near your home. Go there and tell them what you are doing. Ask if they have an old XR or XL Honda single engine that is junk. Something around 100cc's. Don't worry about getting parts for it or even getting it running. Just something to take apart and put back together and figure out what makes it tick. Those old Honda engines haven't changed much in the last 20 years and a surprising number of parts are still available for them.

Should be a lot less than $10,000 ;) and they may even just give you one when they find out what you are going to do with it. Once you and your daughter have learned about the workings of the engine, you will be ready to step up and spend some money on a whole bike.

Top Bottom