datv

Jun 24, 2005
I am an avid street rider and got hooked on trackdays (sportbikes) one year ago. I'm definitely a track junkie, and go almost every other week. I took American Supercamp last weekend, and loved it. We were just cruising around a small oval dirt track, and then a flat TT track on little honda 100's, but I had such a blast. Now I'm shopping for a dirt weapon.

So now I've started researching the dirt scene, and find myself completely clueless. Should I be looking into a motocross bike or enduro? How big a bike is good to start, but I won't outgrow soon. Are used dirt bikes safe, or do they just get abused so much, I should get a new one? There is a deal at a local shop for a KTM 400 enduro that seems pretty cool - 7k for an 05 with 20 hrs and some aftermarket goodies?

I don't know if I'll be into doing the motocross jumps, but I like the idea of being able to do them. I've never been trail riding, but it sounds fun too. The flat track wsa a blast, but it was just my first taste of dirt riding.

As far as the sticky's points:
I'm 6' and 160#
I ride aggressively, but definitely in my comfort zone
Racing could be fun eventually
I'm mechanically inclined, and enjoy working on bikes
Plenty of local dealers for almost all brands
I'm leaning to 4 stroke, because I can ride year round in CA with one (green sitcker at least fo rhte summer)
I'll spend what's necessary, I think 7k is my limit though.

Any help or advice to a dirt newbie is appreciated - I'm anxious to get started!!

Thanks in advance!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Well,
I didn't think KTM made a 400 in '05 . And $7k sounds high for even a new KTM 450. Used bikes are like used cars... Sometimes the owners ( biglou ) take meticulous care of thier bikes, and they are sold in better condition than if you bought a new bike. There are other horror stories I hear about bikes with the air filter missing, and the original oil in the crankcase. So it's hard to tell... IN your case you will probably need propper paperwork which might limit your nationwide search for a bike...

The main diffrences between MX bikes and Enduro bikes are... An MX bike typically has a stiffer suspension, helps absorb the landings. An enduro bike typically has wider gearing, and a larger fuel tank.

Now to the 4 stroke - 2 stroke debate.....
2 strokes, simply have less parts which in theory make the bike easier, and cheaper to maintain.
4 strokes do make more torque, but have more parts than a 2 stroke, so once again in theory are more expensive to maintain.

Quite often, people purchase a 1st dirtbike to learn on, and then move on to another bike that better suits thier desires.
As far as what bike to get, everyone has an opinion.

Are you going to mail order parts or will you be relying on a dealer to get parts?
Do you have friends that ride? What do they ride?

datv

Jun 24, 2005
The KTM I'm looking at belongs to the owner of the local shop, who simply rides a new bike every year. He has all the paperwork, and it has just been serviced. It only has 20 hours on it, and looks to be in great condition. He has an aftermarket damper, strong rims, new pegs, and the suspension redone for his weight which is the same as mine. I think I could bargain down to 7k or a little under OTD. All other new bikes i've researched, look like they are in the same price range. crf250x, etc...

I'll mail order parts fo rthe bike, and do the work on it myself.

Currently I have no friends that do dirt riding, but hope to make some soon.

Thanks

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
A 400-450 might be alot of bike to start with. A CRF250X might be a good choice. It is fast and can handle both trails and mx tracks(with your weight), although it is an enduro bike.
It should have good re-sale value also, if you decide to go to an mx bike after some time learning what you like.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i agree with the 250 four stroke. a crf250r (motocross) might suit you well. it would be easier to race this bike than the 250x. a good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that it is easier to ride an mx bike on the trails than it is to ride a trial bike in mx. if i were you, i'd stick to a 250f. they're cheaper than your 7k limit too so you'll have enough to spend on propper gear (helmet, pants and jersey, boots, chest protector, etc.) good luck!

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
xr100ider said:
a good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that it is easier to ride an mx bike on the trails than it is to ride a trial bike in mx

WHAAA?? :think: I dont agree. A well performing mx bike on medium-hard trails is gonna be tough. Anyone who wants to ride an mx bike on medium trails is gonna do a few modifications. Id rather have a trail bike whos suspension isnt to the standards of an mx-bike on a mx track rather than be out of control when i ride the mx-bike on a tight trail. A trail bike on a mx track isnt hard to ride but it wont perform as well.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
Ruff Rider said:
WHAAA?? :think: I dont agree. A well performing mx bike on medium-hard trails is gonna be tough. Anyone who wants to ride an mx bike on medium trails is gonna do a few modifications. Id rather have a trail bike whos suspension isnt to the standards of an mx-bike on a mx track rather than be out of control when i ride the mx-bike on a tight trail. A trail bike on a mx track isnt hard to ride but it wont perform as well.

have you tried it? a fly wheel weight, different exhaust and you should be good to go in the woods with an mx. try beefing up a trail bike's power and suspension to be able to hit even a 60' double.

as for the 250, just go with the bike in the best condition. you shouldn't have any trouble finding one with your 7k limit....why not buy new?

datv

Jun 24, 2005
Ok, what are the plusses and minuses between the KTM 250racing 4 stroke, and the Honda crf250x? They both cost about the same new. I know the KTM comes with some tricker parts, but does it not perform as well? Are parts more expensive to replace? Which is more fun ;)

thanks

akrider

Jun 24, 2005
yz 250f im 15 and 5'11 easy bike to ride and learn , and u can trail or motocross it! it hauls sum serious ass this things got sum balls!

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
xr100ider said:
have you tried it? a fly wheel weight, different exhaust and you should be good to go in the woods with an mx. try beefing up a trail bike's power and suspension to be able to hit even a 60' double.

as for the 250, just go with the bike in the best condition. you shouldn't have any trouble finding one with your 7k limit....why not buy new?

Thats not what you said. I quote "its eaiser to ride..." NOT "its eaiser to modify"

Amber Farris

Mar 14, 2003
datv said:
Ok, what are the plusses and minuses between the KTM 250racing 4 stroke, and the Honda crf250x? They both cost about the same new. I know the KTM comes with some tricker parts, but does it not perform as well? Are parts more expensive to replace? Which is more fun ;)

thanks

Keep in mind that I havent ridden either bike, here what I have read. The 250 RFS uses the same beefy crank as the 400 RFS and 250 weighs close to the same as the 400. I have heard that the reason 250 RFS feels very doggy and underpowered compared to all the other 250F's. You can bore the 250 RFS to a 351cc. Since the KTM 250 and 400 feel the same weight and ero wise, why not just go for the 400?

The plusses with any KTM are the goodies they come with off of the showroom floor.

KTM has made a new track bike called the 250SXF and that bike is getting the outstanding reviews.

The CRF250X has gotten rave reviews from every mag. CRF owners seem to love the power and handling of the their X. The only issue with this bike is I hear over and over again is the reliablity problems. I have just read so many horror stories of replacing valves without really having many hours on the bike. Because the Hondas have a perimeter frame, they don't have the extra oil capicity like the yamaha does, and I have heard of people burning oil on a long hard ride. I don't know what percentage of people are having these problems, but the I just keep hearing the valve thing over and over.

I would say not to rule out the WR250F, but it is not a green sticker bike...yet. Yamaha's motor has been out longer and has had a great track record when it comes to reliablity. I hear the WR feels heavier than the CRF, but I think the motor is incredible on the WR. It is punchy, responsive and strong(after the free mods). The 05 are supposed to feel lighter and have a lower seat height. I hear they still don't handle as nimble as the Honda, but the power feels a bit more aggresive.

There are just so many choices out there it makes it tough to pick. Just keep doing your research.

Top Bottom