New to dirtbikes, help on decision.

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
well i have been riding a banshee and a blaster, (banshee is bored over and piped and everything. and well i wheelie, ramp other bikes, stope, and race flattrack with the banshee. and blaster. and i want me a dirtbike now. i have a buddy i race with that has a completely ready to race cr125, _bored out, pipes, shocks) you name it, its got it. and i cannot start out easy because my pops wouldn't get me a bigger/faster bike after i got better (money). and i cant afford a mx 250r that i've been wanting forever. and well i can ride a cr125 perfect, i can almost plant my feet down on a 250, and i can tippy toe a 450. im around 5'9, 140 pounds. and im really good on a 4 wheeler for my age( almost 14). i have beaten pro racers flattrack racing. and i want a dirt bike i can take 10, or 15 feet in the air, and not kill me on the landing (blaster comes into play on that). but does anyone have any suggestions? thanks ahead of time. Rodney.

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
i have a craving for speed and big jumps, so the bike i get will be flying high and ripping around corners, and sprayin dust. and a little trail riding, mainly smooth.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Ummm . . . you might want to state your question a little better. Do you have any particular bikes in mind that you're looking at?

Any full size MX bike (125, 250, 450) will handle the jumps and speeds you're talking about.

What do you mean you can't afford a 250 MXr? Do you mean new or used.

I got my 02 RM 125 for $1500 last May. If you shop around you can probably find a 2000-2003 125 or 250 for no more than $2500.

4 Strokes will probably cost more. . .

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
i mean ive wanted a trx250r 4 wheeler set up for mx, but i want something that can handle the high jumps and speeds i want. and that is used, so its alot cheaper and has more upgrades on it. do you think a 125 would be less than i am wanting, or a 250 more than i can handle (im pretty sure i can handle anything)no particular models either, im just wanting to know what best for my size, which is 140 pounds, 5'9 like i said and that can handle flyin high, and riping cornesr.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Other than the spring stiffness, the suspension on 125s and 250s is basically the same. 125s are typically set up for lighter guys and 250s for heavier.

125s will typically corner better than any other full size bike.

at 5'9 140, the 125 should be fine. If you're planning on growing 3 or 4 inches and putting on 30-40 lbs soon, then you might want to look for a 250.

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
noot lookin to do that. so you now what do you think, a cr125 or a ktm or? any other have a landing advantage? or lighter. and what is faster 2-stroke or 4? ive ridden 2 strokes scince ive been riding, and i love that power band. but them 4-strokes have been dominating i see.

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
my friend has a 98 cr125, title and everything. hes got all the professional suspension and the engine is bored out and ported. and hes got the pipes and clutches, and hand guards, and all that. he wants 1500 for it. its in really good shape. I race with him now, so he said i can have it for 15, which i think is a steal for all that he has done to it. do you think that this bike will last me for a while? because i will eventually be racing motocross. and another, could it outrun a banshee? im pretty sure it could. but the banshee is bored and bigger pistons out and i think thats all thanks. rodney

Heres a picture of it. http://community.webshots.com/mypho...6&photoID=2399049490084948157&security=qGLggc

Last edited:

HotRod12

Jan 22, 2006
well today i rode a dirtbike for the second time ever, first time was liek a minute and a half. it was a yamaha ttr 125, bit doggish, but after 4 hours on that thing. IM ADDICTED. its my brothers bike. i can ride wheelies on it now, and jump a little bit, still to slow for me.had a blast on it.

bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
The 98 may be a good deal but it just seems a little old now that is an 8 year old bike and if it has been thrashed alot well Im sure you are getting my point. It may be convenient as it is your friends and near bye but it might be worth shopping around as used 2 stroke 125's are getting pretty cheap now.
Just my 0.02 you might not have a problem with a bike that old but its something I would consider before purchasing it.

Top Bottom