trailblaze

Sep 17, 2002
I just recently purchased my first dirtbike a 1999 KDX 220. I am strictly a trail rider and have no plans on getting into MX. I have been reading about Enduros, Hare scrambles, and turkey runs. What is the difference between all of these. I have heard of a few in my area and have thought of entering one in the future but I would like to know how they differ and what the rules are. Thanks for your help.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
quick and dirty.

Enduro's. maintain a pace, sometimes fast, sometimes not fast at all. usually 5-6 hours, only race against the clock, riders released 3 or 4 per row every minute, goal is to stay on time.

Hare scrambles. go as fast as you can for 2-3 hours. everyone goes at the same time...simple.

turkey runs. uh....i think that's more like just a fun ride, not really a competition, but I could be wrong.

Scott Tipton

Jan 27, 2003
wsmc831 said it right, the only thing I have to add is if there is an enduro coming up you would like to do by all means go do it and dont worry about the time keeping stuff that will come later. If your not a fairly experianced rider you wont be going fast enough to burn a check anyway. If you can get on a row with someone who knows what there doing and just pay attention that will really help to understand whats going on. Good Luck

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
..and although I've done both, I MUCH prefer an enduro. maybe I'm just getting old (34) but I like to have time to relax a bit during a ride.

if you go the enduro route with no timekeeping, easiest way to check yourself is watch other numbers around you. lower numbers means you are probably early, higher numbers means you are late....

if you enjoy trail riding and varied speeds, my guess is you'll be hooked like me, rode my first enduro last year and am totally outfitted for them now.

tbrooks

Jan 2, 2002
find someone to show you what you are doing a the enduro, when you sign up just ask for a row with a A or B rider and follow them it is a blast! As far as hare scrambles when the flag drops you go at the best pace you can hold for 2hrs and by all means just have fun! Don't try to win just ride for fun winning will come if you are fast enough! By the way in hare scrambles you race in a class, get in the C class or special class(age limited)same with enduro.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999

supermike

Apr 29, 2003
a poker run (on street bikes at least) is more of a social thing where they have checkpoints where you pull a card. at the end of the ride, they check the hands that everyone has, and the one with the highest hand wins.

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
If your in New England go to www.netra.org for club and event info. www.nedirtbike.com is a good forum to join. With all due respect I don't think someone in California can explain what a New England turkey run is. Lots of good riding in New England. Good luck!
Norman

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Check out "family" enduro's too. They are geared more for the new rider and familys but they are a heck of a lot of fun for all who enter. I tried entering a regular series enduro once and was in way over my head. Still had fun, but I think houring out was a blessing in disguise after I heard about some of the exceptionally steep and technical stuff that was up ahead.

Good luck.

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
Trailblaze, being a New England veteran I STRONGLY SUGGEST you do a Turkey run 1st. Do all the hero sections as well. I dont know where in Maine you are but 2 of my favorites are the NH classic and the Red fox in VT. The enduro's in New England are tough events. The guys out west and anywhere else cant imagine what the terrain is like. Not to dissuade you but it is a smart move to get you ready to handle the enduro's. Go to www.netra.org for all the NE info. If you want to travel to my neck of the woods go to www.ecea.org. Also subscribe to trail rider magazine for all the east coast news.

Top Bottom