New to Dirtbiking, would appreciate some advice

andrew51

Nov 2, 2007
Me and some of my friends are looking to get dirtbikes. We live in NY, in an area with alot of trails, and alot of time to use them. Any advice on what I should look for in my first dirtbike would be great.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'9", 165
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty aggresive/ good shape, etc.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, trails, no mx/sx tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience?
very little
5) Do you think you will race ?
nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on a dirtbike

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Ive heard good things about both but dont have any real preference
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
honda, yamaha,
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Id like to spend 4000 or less on everything (bike, boots, fullface, all that stuff)
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Id like to make it street legal just so i can ride it to local trail locations in the immediate area. (I dont plan much on streets, just to get to and from trails)

Jan 3, 2007
I think it might be easier to street legalize a 4 stroke then a 2 stroke so mabe a WR450F, CRF450X, or KTM 450EXC. If you wanted a 2 stroke the KTMs are really trick in stock form for what you wnated to do. The 200 is incredbly light and fun to ride.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
id say probably a 4-stroke 250 would do you good and as far as tips to ride lean with your turns thats a no brainier.and push hard on your outside peg when you are turning and where you put your weight is really important.always watch the trail and around the trail.be careful of other riders on the trails or anywhere.help out other riders if they are in trouble.you get more traction on your turn if you lean back.and you can whip it around if you lean forward have fun be careful this is a fun and dangerous sport.

Top Bottom