Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
HJi, I have ridden Observed Trials for many years and decided that would give Enduros a try. I currently own a 200 YZ426 that I have many modifications on and was wondering what tips you guys and gals might have for me. I ant to join either the Blackjack Enduro or the Texas Enduro Championship Series. Any idea as to which one may be better suited for me? Thanks in advance.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Welcome to enduro's. Your backround will help you alot! I would recomend the Texas series(TSCEC) hands down as a C rider, blackjack circiut is more difficult with your bike(i.e. -more technichal !). The reason I say that is riding the YZ in the woods for 60+ miles at enduro pace would really work you over due to the power delivery in the tight/rocky(blackjack) type of terrain. Also, if your bike was wide ratio tranny I would say the blackjack because of your backround riding traps.

If you are in the N. Texas area come out and ride w/us! :thumb:

Good Luck with it!!

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
also, ck. out the tscec website. you may want to attend the banquet in jan.. you will meet a great group of people in a relaxed setting and have an opportunity to hear john penton who is the main speaker. both circuits are great but if you are in TEXAS the tscec is a natural.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks a lot guys! I know what you mean by the bike working you out. I have changed the gearing to 13/51 and added a flywheel weight. It worked great on our Colorado ride this year.

I think I will just choose a couple of events and see if enjoy it before diving head first into a year of commitment and long trips.

What are some good tips for a first time rider? I know nothing about keeping time and just want to have fun mostly. Thanks again!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I no longer keep time - for me an enduro is one long,organized trail ride at different places. Don't get me wrong, typically, I sign on a row with the top riders of the series and just dont pass them.
I think the main issue your first few rides is not time, but learning how to pace yourself for longevity and with your bike, learn the art of short shifting and keeping just enough power to maintain speed.
There are several good web sites to learn the ins and outs of enduro's, as IRISHCOFFEE mentioned - tscec website.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks for the help! I plan on doing what most of the web sites, as well as you said - follow the best rider in your row and try to maintain their pace.

Also, would a Trail TYech computer be ok for a beginner? I doubt I even look at the time but I am interested in learning what it takes to correctly maintain time. Sounds pretty complicated but like anything, it will take time to get the hang of it.

Thanks again!

Keith

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Should you really want to understand the game, learn to keep time with a rollchart and a watch. Once you have a good understanding of averages, possibles, freeground, etc; then you may wish to use a computer. Be warned; this could take a couple of years!

If you can learn to properly use a rollchart, watch, and most importantly YOUR HEAD ; you will have an advantage over 80% of the field.

Top Bottom