emcdan

Mar 26, 2001
Just sold 03' WR250f and bought an 01'KDX. I've ridden everything over the years but I'm glad to be back to the old reliable KDX. Couple of inquires...I'm putting XR400 .40kg springs in the forks.
1) Do I need to replace the spacer with the homemade pvc type or will the stock spacer be ok?
2)Has anyone tryed to raise their seat foam at the seat/tank juncture? When you brake in corners, does your butt slide too quickly to the tank? I may get the tall seat foam but a quick fix would be great.
Any suggestions would be great.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
Do a search under fork springs. I am pretty sure that the stock spacer was way to large for most riders likings. Some ran no spacer, since the xr400 springs are so much longer. Some installed really small 10mm spacers. I tried the high seat foam and did not like it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The stock spacer is way too large for the oem springs (imo..you get something around 35mm preload). Considering that the front springs are way too puny for most anybody I guess they had to prop'em up somehow.

Different folks have reported many different spring lengths for the XR springs they got. Each set will have to be setup to suit.

My preload spacer (not my preload) is 4mm.

Get a gripper seat cover. Tall seat foam won't make the oem cover grip any better.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
canyncarvr said:
My preload spacer (not my preload) is 4mm.
Now I'm guessing you didn't use just a hacksaw to cut them. Damn I'm having trouble making a 28mm one. :bang: Well your definitely 'da man' if you managed those spacers yourself. :ohmy:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
By myself? Someone was s'posed to help me?

I didn't know that was an option. ;)

Yep..dun'em mahseff. Cut them on a table saw, filed them for finish.

....they are kind'a teensy......they aren't at all even a tad bit dodgy, though!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
use a radial arm saw (if you have one) or a table saw or a mitre saw. i have used a hacksaw while holding the piece of pvc on the bumper of the truck while riding.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
89kdx200rdr said:
i have used a hacksaw while holding the piece of pvc on the bumper of the truck while riding.
You da man aswell.. :worship: How the hell did you get it square, man Ive tried 5 times and each time Im still filing or sanding some. But it doesn't matter because the general consensus says my dodgy pvc is too thin. Thanks for all your replies.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
:think: Jason, how do you have time to ride or do anything else when you're numero uno at all thoe arcade games? Okie has created a monster! ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Aha! We're back to dodgy, 'eh?

And that's the problem. ;)

Use schedule-40 PVC. The thicker stuff.

I cut a mess of .500" schedule-40 PVC (not to be confused with PCV) spacers this weekend to use as joist spacers. Used a powered mitre box.

Square cuts. Smooth cuts. Thinner cuts are about as easy. You may have to go chasing the cut piece when it z-i-n-g-s off into space.

Wear safety glasses!

Top Bottom