New to KDX200 Need a little advice on exhaust

Willyklouda

Jul 7, 2007
Ok new to the group here but not to riding. been doing that for many years!

Heres my dilema I just took a 1990 KDX200 on trade for some stuff I was selling. I figured I would clean it up and sell it. The bike needed very little I had to replace the carb boot, clean the carb , install a new spark plug and the replace the rear tube, thats pretty much it.
The problem is this, I Put the new plug in, got the bike running and took it for a short ride (about a mile) brought it back inside and it had puked black crap out of the silencer and at the joint where the pipe and silencer meet and I mean alot! All over the swing arm, the side panel was covered.
Now the exhaust is an fmf pipe with the stock silencer (why I don't know) I pulled the silencer apart ,( I would love to show you but I keep getting told I can't put a photobucket link in my post? ) It looks to me like the silencer is just a straight pass through? if so why is there packing?
I took the pipe off and have tried to clean it out with some kerosene I'll look at it tommorrow it got to late tonight.

Any clue as to why it was puking out so much oil/carbon?

it wasn't bogging it ran great and was pretty strong in the higher gears. (First gear is to steep in my opinion but thats just me) the carb jets are a 52 and a 158 if you need to know.
P.S. When I get this running right does $800.00 sound like a fair price?

Willyklouda

Jul 7, 2007
camrider said:
Not sure about the '90 model, but my '03 has the stock silencer and it cannot be taken apart, nor does it have any packing?

This one definately is disassembleable (is that even a word?)
3 small bolts hold the muffler section in the front and 3 small bolts hold the back cap together and 2 bolts come through the sides to hold the rear cap on.

Boonie770

Jan 2, 2006
you might want to check and watch your transmission fluid level. As long as you are not running your mix too rich there should not really be any axtra oil coming out the exhaust unless it is pulling it throught the crank seals from the transmission and blowing it out the exhaust

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom