Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I am the pround of a a "new to me" 2001 KTM 250EXC and have a few questions for ya'll.

1. I know I am really asking for it here but what oil do you guys use in the gearbox. I had a KDX and ran ATF in it for years with no probs. Just wanted a few opinions.

2. Jetting. I have read all the jetting posts that apply for the last couple months and I am confused a bit here. I have NOZH needle 2nd clip from top, 175 Main, 42 pilot and 1 1/2 on airscrew. My question is it sounds lean (PING PING on decelleration and lean surge at idle) BUT the plug is still black. Is the NOZH notoriously lean at low speeds and rich on top? I have a DDK and DEK (CEK on back order) on the way and I am really looking forward to trying them out.

3. The bike will creep in gear and will not start while in gear. The previous owner said he swapped the plates due to this and it really didnt seem to help. I thought about changing the hydraulic fluid to see if that helps. Any ideas here?

I know this is a lot all at once but like I said I am starting from scratch having ridden KDX's for the last 6 years.

Thanks in advance

KtmRacer51

Apr 18, 2002
Well as for the creeping in gear thing it did the same thing on my ktm. It was due to the engangement of the clutch being to close to the bar*(in my case)*. Try turning out the red knob and see if that helps. I like my clutch to disengage with very little pull so dont be afraid to crank her out.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
KTM Racer .. thanks for the reply. The clutch seems to be centered in the pull but I will double ck it again. Soem one told me this bike uses "mineral oil" for the clutch? Is this true? Where do you buy it?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Mike, we have four twostrokes here. My two TMs, a RMX, a Fantic trials bike and a KTM 300. All get ATF for the gearbox, with no problems. You can use it also in the hydraulic clutch.

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
The clutch problem is probably due to a worn clutch basket. For my clutch I have used suspension fluid without problems. Don't use brake fluid. I have used brake fluid, but Magura says that it will damage the rubber seals. I haven't seen a difference, but don't try that.

david

Jesper

Feb 26, 2001
Mike, regarding the clutch I would firstly try to back bleed it to be sure that there isn't any air in the system. If that doesn't work, you can substitute the the clutch slave cylinder gasket for a thinner one to make the clutch engage earlier. First remove the slave cylinder and measure the current gasket, then choose the next thinner gasket from the KTM spare parts manual.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
as far as the jetting goes the noz_ series of needles are quite rich for most people at 1/4 throttle or so. Try a cek-4 or a cej-4 and a ddk-3 and ddj-3 to clean things up. I run a 45 pilot and 175 main with the ddk-3 and a 178 with the "C" taper.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike
I have a DDK I don't need. I bought it for my bike but discovered that the new carb jetting is even better than using a straight taper needle so the DDK is sitting in my jetting box. You can try it at Dirtweek if you want.
For the clutch fluid you can use 2.5 wt shock /fork oil or ATF but not brake fluid.

As far as the clutch I can't help you there I'm still new to the KTM's and my clutch is working fine right now.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I second on maybe the clutch basket for the creeps.
I use ATF in my forks, gearbox, and wet clutch.
I'm at about 450'asl with high humidity and I found that the stock jetting was fat top and bottom. Depends on what fuel/ratio you are running.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Thanks for the replies fella's. I agree with you guys on the clutch basket maybe having some grooving. I will try to have a look at that soon. I need to change the oil anyway.

Fred T... I should havbe a DDK by DW02 and will probably be playing around with the jetting there. Thanks for the offer. I may need your help so I will DEFINITELY look you up as soon as I get there (Weds afternoon)

Jaybird, Frank .. so you guys are running ATF with no probs .. I assume Type F. Jaybird ... Are you coming to DW02?

Fishhead .. Thanks for the settings that are working for you. I will try your settings as abaseline as soon as the DDK comes in. Ever try the N3EJ YZ250 needle?

KYHU .. What wieght suspension fluid do you guys use for the hyraulic cluth fluid.

Again thanks to all of you. I am sure once I get this thing sorted out maybe I can pass along some usable info.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
No, I run Dexron.
Type F is absolutely uncommon over here. There are only a few shops for US-car parts that sell it. You can imagine the price tag.

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
SAE 5W/10. Unfortunately, I can't compare it with another weight of oil. I had a bottle on hand, tried it and worked well enough for me. So I didn't try anything else.

david

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yep, Mike! I'll be at DW! :)

I use Type F or FA, and I get the cheapest I can find and have had absolutely no problems at all...however, I just recently found out that I HATE Castrol Type F ATF....it is total crap! I suggest anyone to stay away from it.

I have been using Pennzoil and Valvoline...both for about 1.50-1.80 a quart. Buy it by the case if you can.

I won't go into the mineral oil argument again...other than suggest that if you choose mineral oil, stay away from the drugstore! :) Go to a cycle shop and buy it. (shakin head)

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Cool I will have to look you up. I had heard from others not to use mineral oil but to use fork oil instead. But no one has ever told me what weight fork oil. Anybody know?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
2.5 weight I've been told.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Wow Mike, I never expected YOU to make the switch to KTM ;) Welcome! Hopefully Canadian Dave won't give you too much grief :p

Anyway, it does sound like your clutch is worn. You should probably put some fresh fluid in the clutch anyway. You can get the Magura "Blood" at most motorcycle shops or any good Bicycle shop can order it for you. One bottle will last a lifetime. I called Magura on this a while ago and they really wanted you to run THEIR fluid of course but they also said 5wt Finish line shock fluid will work. That said, Everyone uses ATF and even Baby oil and I haven't heard of Any problems. Personally I just bought a bottle of Magura stuff (of course I work at a bike shop).

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
I use leftover fork oil (5W) from servicing forks for my clutch line.... works great and don't have to buy anything extra.

For the creeping, make sure you have the bike fully warmed up. If it still creeps, I agree, look at the clutch basket fingers for grooving...

EG

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
greenb,
I wouldn't suggest using used fork oil in anything at all. There is particulate in it that can damage seals. It's more than likely acidic to boot.
Why don't you just use a bottle of ATF? Surely you can afford $1.75.

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
Maybe my post wasn't clear..... not USED fork oil..... LEFTOVER EXTRA FORK OIL from servicing forks. You always have half a bottle or so leftover... :)

Sorry for the confusion,
EG

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL...my bad. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom