Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Well guys,

She came in last Friday. Went to the Forward air terminal at noon. The guys on the dock took the crate to the parking lot where I uncrated and assembled my new 400. The dock workers kept buzzing around to get a better look and a few stopped to ask questions about her. Lawman did a great job in shipping. Not a problem. Was back on the road w/bike & trialer at 1:10 p.m.

After an evening of devouring the manuals and adding oil and filling and bleeding the coolant. I cranked her over with a new battery. Nothing. Oh ****! :scream: What did I screw up?

Check and double check everything... maybe needs a charge? sure enough 30 min on the charger and she fired right up! Took her for a spin around the neighborhood, didn't even have the seat or shrouds on yet!

Sunday was 55 and sunny, unfortunately the woods are snowed in so a trip to the track was in order.:think I'm the first to admit I am not a track guy, I'd rather push my bike through the woods before riding in circles all day but sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do ;)

So here is the scoop, I know the EXC is not a track bike but she did well (now remember I'm a SPODE in the truest sense of the word) I was railing the corners (still need to set the sag) and she has great snap out of the corners. I was competetive on the straights then fear kicks in on the jumps.

Overall I'm pleased, shes not YZ250f light, but she'll lift the tire at will!

Ended up with a leaking fork seal, I'll try to clean the wiper with a piece of flim and maybe I'll get lucky. I also noticed I pinched the o-ring on the front filter so I had a tiny oil leak. But no compalints! My fault not the bikes!

Big thanks to Lawman this bike is more than I expected, His list of "extras" on the bike was only half true! there were probably three things he didn't tell me about! Sidewinder sprocket included? cool!:) :) :)

Thanks Lawman you are a class act!

Rod

nicky

Mar 18, 2001
Its great to hear a good review about the 400. I have a new 2002 400EXC sitting and waiting for me to pick up next weekend. I know the excitment cause I can't wait to get it. Happy riding....

tuckmt

Jul 12, 2001
Great!

Glad you got your bike, Rod. I know that you were really looking forward to it after all the trouble w/the XR shift shaft:mad: .

I too am seriously considering a KTM (300EXC) --the 4 strokes are still too rich for my blood.

I rode a buddy's 200exc the other day and was hooked.:scream: Just gotta come up with the cash through the sale of my XR. Shouldn't be too hard though 'cause it is a great bike as well.

Take Care man and enjoy that bike.

Tuck:)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Tuck, I have a buddy with a sweet 300 for sale, e-mail me and I'll get you the info. He's had trouble trying to sell so he may make a deal.

THe XR is about 30 min of work away from the first "restart" after the case split. i'll let you know.

Fastboy, Hmmm hard question since I only track rode it and dwon't have a chance to get it into the trees until next spring.

The power is much better than the XR, although the XR lets you get sloppy without a penalty. Like landing a jump wrong and you twist the throttle on the XR by accident, not much happens. The power on the KTM is instant, twist the throttle and the bike goes! The majic button is awesome!!!

I wouldn't discourage you from getting the XR. I will probably keep mine, it's kinda like a favorite sweatshirt, it's just confortable! But the XR is not competetive if you want to race. For everything else it does just fine though (well except jumping!);)

E-mail me if you want more details

Rod

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey rod,

i'm pleased you are happy with it! i didn't claim the sprocket & stuff like that b/c it's a "wear" part & wasn't brand new (but almost). don't forget about the fork booties, i've had 'em on my '00 since it was new & have yet to have a seal leak.

guess we can show you the ktm handshake now!

hey tuck, who are you? are you in mmc? there are some ktm's for sale in the area, if you don't buy rod's buddy's bike, let me know & i can hook you up.

john

tuckmt

Jul 12, 2001
Rodzilla,

Hey give your bud my work email and have him contact me.

Lawman,

I am actually outside of Memphis in Corinth, MS. I just got into racing in the MidSouth HS Series. Raced in Hohenwald but my bike was in pieces for the Salsbury race.

Let me know who you know that has a nice 300EXC for sale. I rode a buddy's 200exc last week and I am really interested in the Pumpkins now. My XR4 is a good mount but I miss the 2 stroke feel of my old CR. Not enough can be said about that seat of the pants feel.

Thanks,

Tuck

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey tuck,

you missed a good race! mmc will have 5 next year, including the saulsbury msws race.

i know of an '00 200exc that just came up for sale which won sera's 200A class last year. i know a guy with an '01 300 in iuka; i don't know if he's ready to sell but i can find out. let me know if you are interested in either 1.

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
I also know of a 2000 200 that hasn't been ridden nearly as hard or as much as one that was raced for a full SERA season. Send a email if you are interested.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey chris, if that's the same bike that john300 knows about, you are right, it has been used way less than my buddy's. i rode that 1, it's clean.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
yeah, i'm surprised it hasn't found a home already. i rode it a little at maplesville, it's almost new & as i recall, the price was very reasonable. that bike looks & rides almost like a new 1.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Tuck,

You may want to jump on the deal closer to home. Unless Cory gives you a great deal.

My shipping experiences with Lawman were excellent but there is something to be said for finding a bike close to home!

I know the crating/shipping was a bit of a headache for Lawman. (My end of the deal was easy!)

tuckmt

Jul 12, 2001
Lawman/KTM Chris,

Send me the info offline on the bikes email: mtuck@kcc.com. I am kindof interested in a 250/300 (I'm ~210lbs.) but I wouldn't rule out a 200 for the right price.

Send info and I will follow up.

Thanks,

tuck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom