"New to Me" 93 KTM 300EXC Questions

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
I started riding a few months ago with a 91 KDX 200 and have quickly realized I needed more power even after performing most of the recommended mods.

I purchased a 93 KTM 300 EXC on Ebay yesterday for $1350 (Click for Link) and am wondering about any of the known problems with this bike or recommended hop ups. The bike is in great shape and has a recent top end job. All new plastic that are pre 98 KTM Orange and has FMF Fatty pipe and Turbine Core silencer.

Are there sites around with recommended mods or maintenance tips on this bike like I found for the KDX? I will miss the help of Jeff Fredette on the KDX but figure there has got to be some good info on this bike as well. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Christopher

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
You can post questions here on DRN, ktmtalk.com or holeshotktm.com and get lots of help...

Graphics from www.graphicmx.com or www.ktmworld.com

I have a 97 250, which is a very similar bike, and I like it very much. I added a Delta II valve for extra power down low. It worked very well. Just a thought.

I would advise disassembling the front end, swing arm, linkage and the wheels to check for the grease. This will probably take you a day and you'll know your bike by then.

Get it jetted really well (can't help you there I don't know how to do it) before your do any performance mods.

Have fun, it is a good bike.

Good luck.

moto614

Nov 7, 2001
mrmodine,

Everything CO DAN said is good advice i had a '94 300exc it fouled plugs like mad untill i did some jetting it's been a while but i think i went with a 7.0 slide and that worked pretty good.untill then i got pretty good at removing the seat and tank on the trail to get to the plug.wheel bearings and swingarm/linkage bearings seem to be a sore spot keep an eye on these and fork seals also otherwise an excellent woods bike,i got to ride a freinds '01 300exc and i liked the motor on the '94 better not as explosive,the '94 was much more tractable i think you'll love it.

enjoy
jeffro

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Jeffro is right about the slide. If it isn't already a #7, you probably want to get one. Or you can have your current slide ground to #7. I think enduro engineering does that for around $20. www.enduroeng.com

Your local dealer should also be able to help with jetting specs.

BTW, as I understand it a lot of the explosive power can be manipulated by jetting. But I'll agree, it can be pretty explosive. I have an 01 300 and I have to be sure I'm pointed in the right direction before opening the throttle :)

Top Bottom