New (to me) '96 YZ250 - I'm heavy so help me set up the suspension

Chevy Muscle

Aug 4, 2005
I just bought a '96 YZ250 and this is my first question on how to mod it.

I will probably ride trails mostly but I want to play around on a MX course every now and then (not to race just to have fun).

I want to be able to ride the trails but also clear (and land) a double every once in the while.

Me:
I weight about 235 lbs +/- most of the time.

I'm not sure if this has aftermarket forks or not, as I've been out of the dirt bikes for a long time until now. (they're inverted forks, not sure if that was stock in '96)

Any tips on setting up the suspension for this suckka?

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
sent the forks (maybe shock too) to a suspension shop and tell them your weight and the kind of riding you do and they will set up the suspension for you. Unless of course you understand spring rates and know how to revalve suspension parts. only thing you can do is turn the clickers to change the compression rate.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A revalve at the shop is the best route to take, but sort of expensive.

You would be best off by first understanding suspension sag and how to set it properly on your bike for your weight. Your suspension will very likely NOT be able to get the proper sag set, due to the springs are more than likely too light for you.
Trying to set the sag unsuccesfully will confirm the need for new springs.

At the point you know your springs are too light (who knows, maybe the prior owner had different springs put in) you can go to some sites and find out what springs you need for your riding weight. (you and all your gear on)

I suggest you use Jeremy Wilkeys spring rate calculator, you can also buy the springs from him. Put the correct springs on the shock and in the forks and set things back up. You may well be quite happy with the results.
If you find that, after installing the correct springs and setting the sag up properly, you are still in need of a better suspension that can handle aggressive riding, you may well want to consider a full revalve at that point.

You can get a stock bike to be very ridable if you have the proper springs and and clicker settings, but the revalve job gives you tuning ability to have the suspension plush and nice. You can get addequate out of any stock suspension, but plush and nice requires money.

Chevy Muscle

Aug 4, 2005
Thanks for the info and I'll try and set the sag. I was told that the forks were rebuilt recently so I don't know if heavier springs were put in or not.

Top Bottom