mcurcio1989

Oct 18, 2009
Hello all. I am new to this forum so this may or may not be in the right section. I recently traded one of my extra jet skis for a 1995 dr 350 running perfectly. I payed $100 for the jet ski and this bike save me money on my insurance for my r6. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I am interested in getting a little more low end grunt for using this offroad, on the ice, and for messing around with wheelies. This is my first dirtbike so i have never messed around with sprockets. What are the advantages of changing the front vs. the rear sprocket. I am guessing the front just has less room for small adjustment. What is a common sprocket mod on these? fill me in !

Also I have noticed that the idle wants to fluctuate a lot. Like i will set it at 2k and then 10min later its at 4k or vice versa. My obvious guess would be it needs the carb cleaned/rebuilt. Is this something they are known for or may be some random other issue.

I am having a blast with this thing so far. Its perfect for me because i wanted a dirtbike to take out on the ice in the winter and to get off road occassionally. I don't have a trailer so this i can just drive where i want to go. Its not the best offroad but i like the balance and versatility it gives. Plus i can let my friends take it out to ride with me on my r6. Also the guy threw in lots of extras including a set of new tires with wheels. i can stud the old ones and still have road tires.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
mcurcio1989 said:
fill me in !
damn, this place is turning erotic :laugh: :nener:

the sprockets are nothing more then rear wheel rpm versus back wheel torque.
one tooth change one a front sprocket equal roughly 3 teeth on the back. i generally prefer changing the front since they are cheaper. try one tooth less on front. more than that and you loose a lot of top speed.

a good clean to the carb is a must. check the air filter too. might want to ajust the valve clearance. a service manual is a must for doing those jobs.

almost forget, change the oil, oil filter and check the oil pressure. :cool:

mcurcio1989

Oct 18, 2009
okay that was exactly my thought with the front sprocket . . .way more bang for your buck. I cleaned the carb out and it didn't really do anything as far as the idle goes. Where would i get a service manual for this anybody got a download??

the po gave me a oil filter in the box but i have not changed the oil yet It is leaking oil so right now i just top it off but i think i have located it and i want to address that before i change the oil and filter. How do i go about checking the pressure i have a tester just not sure where to screw it in.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
well, about the service manual dowload read the link util the end and draw your conclusions. it´s up to you... yamaha service manuals are not copyrighted and may be dowlaoded from the oficial web site. most of the brands are... the manuals can be bought on the suzuki shops...
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=175966

the question for your specific model can be foud on service manual. :cool:

Top Bottom