Delerious

Jun 22, 2009
Hey there, I have been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks now reading threads and what not and looking at other user's opinions. I have very minor experience with dirt bikes. I have ridden a friends about 10 years ago before he sold his... I have been wanting to pick up a bike for a while now, and finally I have the re$$ources to do so :)

First my profile:

I am a very short guy, so I guess that is what is limiting me mostly.
I am 5'5 and 165lbs, 26 years old with very minor experience.

The bike I am looking at is the yamaha tt-r230. The cycle shop locally deals in yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki and KTM. I really want a 4 stroke, as I am just looking for something for casual/trail riding...no real jumps or anything crazy, just fun. Anything in the $4000 or below range is best :P

I did go sit on a few bikes on a quick lunch break the other day and plan to talk with a dealer a bit tomorrow on pricing and opinions, but I want some opinions from someone who doesn't just see dollar signs ;p as an incentive to sell.

I sat on the ttr-r230 and the ttr-125e. To be honest, the 125 felt more safe as I was on my tippy-toes, but not by an extreme amount. I also sat on the 230, and it was much greater, that I would need it lowered by an inch or so to feel comfortable. Is this something the dealer could do easily, or would I be stuck with a 125?

I am looking for something that I won't be bored of in a month, but something I won't kill myself on :P

Thanks

-Scott

Delerious

Jun 22, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'5 165lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

non-aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

trails with friends/fields

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Very little

5) Do you think you will race ?
never

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Will more than likely have someone else do my bike work, while I learn how

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I would prefer 4 stroke. I just want something that I won't want more from in a month or so. I don't want to have to mix gas or have anything high maintenance.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
My local dealer carry's yamaha (which I am really considering), suzuki, kawasaki, and ktm

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

I have about $4000 to play with, of course cheaper is better. I have looked around for used bikes in my area as well, but there is really no market for them that I see.

10) Do you live in California?

no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I just want something fun, to ride, I am not looking for anything to get crazy with, but something with enough power so I can crank it out on occassion...nothing to jump or race tho :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The 125 sounds like a good bet. You can pick up a nice used one for under $2000. If you rode it for a year you could probably sell it for about the same, so long as you don't trash it. We have one and it hauls my 180 lbs around fine. The suspension isn't all bad and there are plenty of ways to increase the power if you want.

The 230 is a bit heavier and as you said, too tall. Make it easy on yourself at the start.

Delerious

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the input :) I don't mind the extra weight, just the height. If I were set on the 230, is there a way I could alter it to make it a couple inches shorter?

TorrenT

Jun 20, 2009
as far as the height goes.... start it by a curb, or if you have a kickstand or regular motorcycle stand (dont know exactly what they r called) just use that to start it. TRUST ME YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET A BIKE THAT IS TOO SMALL. I had the same bike for 5 years. Crf 150, it started off as my size, but after a year or so i could whip it around like a 50, and then it just wasnt any fun anymore. Lol then i just started borrowing friends bikes. Check out some bigger bikes, you will get used to them as you ride them. I recomend a 4 stroke 250.

Delerious

Jun 22, 2009
Welp, went to the dealer again today and signed my papers and paid my dues :) I am now officially own an 09 yamaha tt-r230. Going to pick it up after work tomorrow. I am excited hehe

Top Bottom