4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Just thought I would introduce myself. I am a regular poster on KTMTalk, and through that site found this one. I am excited to see so many women interested in riding.

I have been riding since 1998 off and on. I started putting around on my mil's 83 XR 200. It was good to get the basics on, but I was ready for more power quickly.

In '99 we bought a used '98 KDX 220. The KDX was head and toes more powerful than the XR, but heavy as hell. Everytime I dumped the thing, which was often, I about broke my back trying to pick it up. Not to mention, riding in the desert on that thing put me out of commission for days from the suspension. It just never felt good to ride. Too heavy, too bulky, and too soft.

I had been pushing to get a KTM since I got my KDX, but the hubby thought the power wold be too much for me. Finally, after a couple of years of me pestering, and bitchinng about the bulky feel of my KDX he finally relented. We found a good deal on a used 200 MXC, and put my KDX up for sale. The first ride out on the KTM, there was a major problem with the jetting. It was obvoious, even to me, that something was wrong. Rick at Gresham KTM, put a #7 slide in it, and it was supposedly ready to go.

Our next trip out was to the Trask mountain in Oregon. The slide didn't fix the problem. The bike wouldn't idle, at all. I stalled the thing at least 5x's going up a hill that I powered up on my KDX. By the end of the day I was totally frustrated, the bike was dead (meaning wouldn't start), I was done with riding for good, and Mark decided I wasn't good enough with the clutch to ever ride a 2 stroke again.

Mark got the bike fixed and ready to sell, and we started trying to figure out what bike would be the best for me. He was leaning towards the KTM 400, but I wasn't looking forward to the 4 stroke power, and more importantly weight. If I had a hard time picking up the KDX, I know I would have an even harder time with the 400. But as all husbands can be sometimes, Mark was determined to get me a 400. We found a great deal on one, scrounged up the $5000 to buy it, showed up at the guys house with trailer attached planning on leaving with the bike, and alas it was a 2000 400 SXC, not the bike we wanted.

Now we have $5000 in our pockets burning a serious hole. The more I thought about the 400 the more I didn't want it. The more I didn't want the bike the more Mark realized if we did get the 400, everytime I was picking it up on a trail, I would be cussing him out for not letting me get the lighter bike that I wanted.

While looking for used bike online Mark ran across KTM Talk, that had a forum specifically for women KTM riders. One of the posts from Kalitude had a link to her website, girlrider.net. I went in there and started reading the bio's of all the chick's out there riding KTM 200's. This was enough for me to be even more convinced that the 200 was the bike for me. When someone on KTM Talk mentioned a flywheel weight Mark was sold too. Wala, by the end of the week I had a brand new '03 KTM 200EXC in the garage!

We have since been out riding 4 of the last 6 weekends. I have proved him wrong and then some! I love that bike more than anything! I actually want to go riding. Can't wait for the next trip. :)

Just thought I would introduce myself, and let y'all know that I am already signed up for the Oregon riding clinic. I figured I better get to know everyone that is going to be there before I go!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Welcome :)

I've met a bazillion cool people to ride with just from this site and I hope you also get the most out of DRN!

Natalie

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
4EverOrange,
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new bike!
And thank you for sharing your story.
It's interesting to see how other women move onto their new bikes.

What part of Oregon do you live?
Do you race?
We (some women in Northern California) just finished the Wile Piglet Family Enduro yesterday. It was FUN!

I hope to meet you sometime. Have fun on your new bike!!! ;)
Mini

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
No I don't race...yet. I am hoping to race sometime this spring/summer, but really don't even know where to start. I know I need to get into better shape first. I have returned to the gym, after a 2 year break. :O My goal is to take off another 20lbs before May, so far I have lost 15.

I am from the Portland area. We mostly ride in Bend and the Tillamook forest. Two totaly different types of riding but they are both fun! :)

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Dang I changed my signature but for some reason it isn't reflecting the new one on the posts. Does anyone know why? I think it's becuase I am a new memeber.

Leann

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Welcome aboard Leeann.
It's amazing what a difference a bike makes. I still love my kdx even though sometimes I'd happily put a match to it (or pay someone to take it away when I'm stuck in the forest). But that's rider, not bike. I seem to get stuck where no one else even notices something but then they'll ask me how I went with something & I'm oblivious to what they mean - yah, I'm wierd & have trouble with the stupidest things.
As for your question with signatures, to utilise most of DRN, you need to be a subscriber ($12 per year). That sounds wrong, what I'm meaning is, when you're a subscriber you get access to most features, a sponsoring member gets access to all features. A non-paying member has some limits as to what they can & can't do. For more information & a less garbled explanation - check out the link just below the main banner - named "upgrade". Those of us who've become subscribers & STMs have basically wanted to give something back for the knowledge/camaraderie we share here.
Welcome aboard in any case :)
Michelle

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I ride a '98 200 mx/c and love it. In fact, I rode it to the tip of Baja.
It's had some motor work though.
So, how do you handle all that power, little lady?

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
hi Leann,
I'm in Portland also, maybe we can get together to ride!
Here's my personal email:
smpost@attbi.com

Susan
BBR230 (it's in the garage!!!)

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Fe_Princess -

I am sure I would have gotten use to the 98, but after that trip Mark decided he didn't want a bike he had to work on more than his own. :) No complaints from me!

I love my new bike! It is so much fun to ride. My husband, Mark, was convinced I couldn't handle the power, I am just thrilled that he wasn't right!

A couple of times I have traded Mark bikes on the trail, he has a 99 KTM300EXC, while his has more power, it doesn't seem to respond to the throttle as well as the 200. I can tell you though, in the woods that 300 would be really nice to have. It seems to allow for mistakes better than the 200. I guess there is no such thing as the perfect bike.

The Ant - I will definantly email you! Does your husband or so ride too?

Leann
03 KTM 200EXC

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Leann,
Yes, he rides an '03KTM450EXC - his screen name is E-Ticket and posts a lot more than I do. He's been riding since he was a kid and helps me out a bunch. I did the OR riding school last year - can absolutely vouch for its being the best thing I ever did for improving my riding skills.
We're planning on going to the Woodland Indoor track this Saturday since expect it'll still be raining raining raining. Saturday mornings are for the novice groups, will be checking first to be sure they have mellowed out the track for us. Join us if you can!
-Susan
BBR 230

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Welcome!  This is a great site, and a lot more active than KTMtalk.

I am surprised to hear there is so much difference between the EXC and MXC.  I still haven't ridden a MXC to compare them though!  The only SX model I have ridden was a four-stroke so that isn't quite the same.  I want to try a MXC one of these days.  They sound fun.  I know Fe_Princess hauls ass on hers, I have seen that a couple of times now.  :cool:

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
I still don't know if the big difference was the E vs M, the bike not running right, the flywheel weight I put on the E, or my attitude. I was sooo afraid of the M, I don't think I went out with the right attitude. I had been told by so many people that the bike wasn't for me, I think I convinced myself of it before I even left the parking lot.

With the E, I was on a mission to prove everyone wrong! I decided I wanted to ride that bike, fought like hell to get it, and the first time out said f you all. :) I have never looked back!

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by firecracker22
Welcome!  This is a great site, and a lot more active than KTMtalk.

I am surprised to hear there is so much difference between the EXC and MXC.  I still haven't ridden a MXC to compare them though!&of times

Guess we'll have to wait for DW'03. I can't believe I didn't make you get on my bike. I just keep thinking about which gear to take that step-up in :(

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Fe_princess

Guess we'll have to wait for DW'03. I can't believe I didn't make you get on my bike. I just keep thinking about which gear to take that step-up in :(

There was never really a chance to trade, darn it. 

Which gear to take the step-up in?  I think I'll wear my O'Neal gear, since it is the darkest colors and therefore easiest to clean red Oklahoma mud from. 

Oh wait, you meant transmission gear.  :eek:  

Uhh, I'll hit it in 6th gear pinned, sure I will.  :uh:

Top Bottom