kabob983

Aug 2, 2007
I posted this in the New Members forum but was told to bring it here, so I will.

Hey everyone. I've been riding on the street/track for a while and recently several of my buds are trying to get me to get a dirt bike. I'll be honest, I don't know the first thing about dirt riding, although I hear riding on the dirt will build your skills alot faster than strictly street riding. So, now I'm considering getting a dirt setup.

Mostly this will be for trail riding and just bashing around a friend's land (acres and acres of backwoods), don't think it'll have to be street legal but if it is I won't complain. Also, I don't want anything too...big...to start out. 450's are probably too much. I'm 6'1 ~190.

I always thought that most dirt bikes were 2 stroke, now I see that most have become 4 strokers. When did this happen? I'd rather not deal with the hassles of a 2 stroke, where can I find a cheaper 4 stroke (used is fine)? If I go buy say, an '01 bike, how will I tell if it's a 2 or 4 stroke bike (are certain lines/types different?). Of the big 5 (I'll call KTM part of the 5), what is their 2 stroke line and what's their 4 stroke line?. What's the most hassle free maker? I'd like it to be gas and go if at all possible.

What gear do I need? Helmet, goggles, jersey and pants, gloves, boots, and...chest protector? Anything else? What are some of the better brands to stick with? Do I want just a jersey or do I need a jacket?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

*edit* Didn't see this, I'll add it in:
1) your physical size: 6'1 ~190.

2) How physical / aggressive are you: 6-7/10

3) what do you plan to ride: Trail, fields, maybe an MX once or twice but not often. And probably not on the road.

4) Do you have any riding experience: Yes, 1 1/2 years on the street/track.

5) Do you think you will race? Wouldn't mind giving it a whirl after a while.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I could do it but I'd prefer it easy.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I've heard 4 strokers are easier to maintain and you don't have to do the gas/oil mix, so 4 stroke for me.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Every major brand is nearby (4 japs + KTM). Don't really have a preference. Probably prefer used.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Not a ton, hence the used. I just got married so $$ isn't overflowing.

10) Do you live in California? No

11) Your age? 24

12) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion:
Not really.

Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
hi kabob983, and welcome...
in relation to 4 strokes vs 2 strokes this is almost the main talk in this forum buts ok:
the first 4 strokes was trail bikes come from the street, almost indestructible... then a few years ago yamaha release they mx 4 stroke machine in a world of 2 strokes, some people tought they was crazy... the truth is that the fashion sticks and by now honda do not make any more 2 strokes. that machines soon proved could be the same or even more faster than 2-strokes....

in realaty today's four-strokers require more maintenance then the two-strokes, such the level of technology and preparation in such machines...

any bike like yamaha wr250f or honda crf250x will be exelent bikes for trail riding, but i
think a mx bike like kx250f, rm250z,crf250r or yz250f will fit better since you go to the track and any of this bikes do great in trails....
these ones are all four-stroke bikes: fun, light,powerfull, a bit noisy with lots of low end power and easy to deal with...

two strokers are peaky in theyr power delivery, the low end power is... any, make smoke, realy, realy fun... but dificult to ride: or you ride fast or you just don´t ride

how do you recognize them? simple look to the exhaust..
two strokes have fat exhaust named expansion chambers, and four strokes have a simple pipe that connect into the silencer... you will notice also that two strokes have smaller engines... the noise is also very diferent... one day in a track and you will see..

a 450 is of the same size as a 250, the main diferences are in the power, weight,and hanling...
there are two main classes in full size mx: 450 4t + 250 2t and 250 4t + 125 2t that govern the production of bikes such as ktm: mx bikes are known as sx (from supercross) such as 125 sx or 450 sx and the trail line are e\xc (enduro\cross country) like 250 e\xc or 450 e\xc
every brand of that 5 with exception of honda has a line of 125 2t, 250 4t, 250 4t and 450 4t in mx... in enduro they differ a little... do a search in the web to get some more information...

to help you with the clothes and protection i'm not the best to give you advices so i´ll leave it for others :whoa:

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
kabob983 said:
Of the big 5 (I'll call KTM part of the 5), what is their 2 stroke line and what's their 4 stroke line?.

The simplest way for you to obtain this information would be to go directly to each manufacturer's website, and look for yourself. The spec sheets for each model will state this information clearly. (It will also give you valuable information like seat height and PRICE.)

Just like in riding, there's no substitute for your own initiative and hard work. :cool:

kabob983

Aug 2, 2007
Yeah, I did that earlier...looks like all but Suzuki's 4 strokers have an "F" in the name, Suzuki uses a "Z." After looking at the options I think a 4 stroke 250cc enduro bike might be the way to go. I don't plan on doing much MX stuff at this time, if at all. I think to start off with I just need something I can bash around the backwoods with.

kabob983

Aug 2, 2007
Does Kawasaki not have a 250 trail bike? I saw a 250 MX bike and a 300 enduro...

Yeah, the WR250F and CRF250X are the two I'm lookin' at right now. Gotta find one that I can afford.

Top Bottom