xionicz

May 14, 2009
Wuddup everyone!

I thought this would be a great place to start my path to dirt, hopefully get some solid info and just check out the scene.

I do have some couple questions and I can give you a bit of my personal backround to maybe help getting the right answer.

So I have been riding superbikes (street) since I was 18, I am now 27. I have decided to get off the roads for good this season as I was in 2 accidents last season at which I was hit by cars and was completely not at fault. Just no respect for riders on the roads here. Anyhow, I always wanted to get a dirtbike but never did, just prolly because I put alot of money in my street bikes I never had the chance?

Been talking with my buddies about the idea and they are all for it, I won't be riding at all this season just very overwhelmed with work for the next year but I do plan to have a bike for next spring. Money is not an issue here and yes I will be riding with full protective gear so no worry there. I plan to be doing alot of trails, freestyle, and maybe get into racing, as I did with superbikes for a couple of years.

I was wondering how the top dogs stack up to eachother, like with street bikes, all 600cc 09's for example are on a very even playing field and have been for a number of years (suzuki, yamaha, kawi, and honda). I know ktm's make some great dirt bikes aswell as the other top 4 but is there any I should stay away from?

I was specifically looking at the 4strokes 450's, I think that would be the bike for me (the race ones). So with that said any of the top 5 companies having issues with 08/09 models? Or they all very much competitive?

Any reason you guys can give me as to not get one of these bikes? Also is going brand new the way to go? I dunno what to look for in used dirt bikes, I would be a little scared to invest in such.

Opinions would be awesome. Thanks for reading!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wlecome! You are on the right track. As far as suspension and brakes and such most bikes are very close. In the past couple years EFI has been brought into the dirt world. Suzuki and Honda use it on the 450s, the 08/09rmz and 09crf. The EFI doesn't have much of an advantage over a well tuned carb. Buy new if you can find a good deal and aren't worried about getting your money back out of it.

Top Bottom