performance mods done including carb bore and jetting fmf gold series
gnarly pipe. revalved forks with .40 springs all fresh. I am coming off
a heavily moded DR650 with 14/49 gearing. I am 170 lbs 5'6' I ride
with A and B class riders. yes I know it sounds like BS but I do make
the DR run through the woods at impossible speeds its not easy and is
punishing. but no different than the old days,yes and im over 40 rider
with 15+years of off roading under my belt I just haven't been on a
two stroke since 1984.
just want to get some idea of what to expect?

robl

Feb 24, 2004
Wow, that impressive to do that type of riding on a DR650. I'm sure it can be done, Scott Summers did quite well on an XR600.

It sounds like you're getting a solid motorcycle if Jeff worked on the engine and suspension. Moving from a bike like that big DR to a KDX will be a significant adjustment that will take some riding time getting used to. It will probably frustrate you at first, but I'm sure you will be amazed how easy the KDX will be to ride once you get used to how easy it handles.

It's a matter of finesse vs brute force.

You'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

Rob

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I think it is going to be a welcomed adjustment for you and I would be willing to bet that you will be much faster on the KDX. In fact I think it will be an easy adjustment, despite the fact that you are going to switch from 4T to 2T. You are switching to a bike that will be much easier to handle in offroad conditions and certainly better equipped.

Last edited:

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I used to ride a XR 500 RE, went to a KDX 200, was amazed - that was a while ago, recently riding a trail blew myself out getting my son's bike up a long sandy hill, a helpfull friend who rides a YZF 450, rode my 220 R up the same hill, by the way he weighs a lot more than I do at 230 lbs, was amazed at how well my "little two stoke" hauled his a.. up the hill.
Enjoy the two smoke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…