New to the sport what bike should i get?

lippy8

Jun 28, 2010
I am 16 years old and about 5'7 and 150 pounds. I dont have a ton of experiance with dirtbiking but i have rode smaller bikes like xr100's and such. Im looking for a well rounded bike through my research im leaning towards a 2-stroke. My buddies keep telling me to get a 250 2 stroke i like the idea of not having to upgrade to a bigger bike if i get one but will it be hard to learn on one? and how would a 125 do? i hear some people find a 125 harder to ride than a 250 is this true? Im looking to spend around $3000. thanks :nod:

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
I am 15 and just as tall as you and i just got a 125 2-stroke and the hight is perfect it is fast enough for a beginner and they are alot of fun. If i were you id get the 125 (Suzuki) :cool: .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Learn to ride a 125 fast and you'll be smokin' your buddies if you move over to a 250 2T. There is a lot to be said for learning to use what you got vs. relying on more power to overcome lazy or poor skills.

lippy8

Jun 28, 2010
do you bealive it would be easier to learn on a 250 due to not being in powerband as much? cause i find it really hard to find 125's in my area and theres tons of 250s everywhere.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
But a 125 and a 250 is a big difference the 250 is almost like riding a 450f and thats something a beginner shouldn't be learning on. 250's you have to be on the throttle a lot.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Out grow what? A 125? You could ride it forever. A 250? Same thing. They will be VERY similar is size just different weight & power. My son has been riding since he was 4 and prefers his CR125 to most anything else because he likes how light it is and he's happy with the power. Heck I like that bike myself!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
if you are riding essentially flat ground the 125 will be a lot easier to ride and less likely to get you into trouble. When it comes to hill climbs or other situations where you need power a 250 will make up for a lack of skill, but it will also get you into trouble twice as fast.

Like Patman said, you won't "outgrow" a 125 2t. The frame size is exactly the same as the 250 and if you have the skill it has enough power.

I am 6' tall, 190 lbs and I started off on a 125. My experience is that when I was riding technical trails the lighter weight of the 125 was an advantage, I was fairly equal in the typical trail and the only time I really wanted more power was when I hit a fire / pole line road or a long sand wash.

After I started racing enduros I decided that I needed a 250 because they didn't have a 125cc class for age 50+, it was either 450 or 250. Figuring that I was at a disadvantage riding my 125 I "upgraded". Funny thing is that the best finish I have had was on the 125!

There is a strong likelihood that you will eventually want the power of a 250. To start off on one will be a bit harder to learn and you may in fact learn some bad habits but if you can avoid killing yourself the first few rides you will probably be OK.

With a $3K budget you should be able to pick up a fairly decent bike. In my opinion, you are better off finding a bike that was well used but well maintained rather than one that was lightly used and poorly maintained. Two strokes are pretty much all "race" bikes which means that they have high performance engines which means they need a lot of maintenance. Not just oil changes but top end rebuilds. Note that this is true of the 4-stroke race bikes as well.

When looking at a bike ask the seller when the last top end rebuild was done. If it hasn't been done recently then figure that it will need one soon. The chain and sprockets are wear items, how long since they have been changed?

Don't forget that you need to leave some budget for all the safety gear. Do NOT get on a bike without helmet, boots and goggles. I highly recommend a chest protector and gloves. I won't ride without knee pads.

Good luck!

Rod

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
Yea dont forget the gear and a 125 has equivalent power to a 250f and maybe if you set it up it could run with a 450. It all depends on how you set it up. My 125 is going to be with me forever.

lippy8

Jun 28, 2010
thanks guys im looking for a 125 but arnt having much luck. theres lots of four stroke 250's but am kinda turned off because what if i bought one then realized theres a engine problem, the rebuilds are very pricey and i dont know how people treat there bikes but with a 2 stroke it would be eaiser to fix. and yes i left plenty of cash for safty gear. and unfourtunetly a 250 might be my only option i would be scared to even test ride of of those due to my lack of eexperiance. ive been looking for bikes for a long time and i dont understand why i cant find any 125's in the area

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
Yes 4 strokes are very pricey to rebuild but a 2 stroke you could rebuild it in your garage or shed in about a day. And i never asked where your located that you dont have much luck finding a 125. But keep looking you just might find one.

lippy8

Jun 28, 2010
northwest B.C canada, ive been looking for about a year ill give it a little longer if not either ill go for a road trip to pick one up or just buy a 250 and see how it goes, anyways thanks for the help

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The key to finding a good deal is patience, I know this from experience. Dont run out and buy the first bike you find for sale. Check Craigslist often and take your time...this is how I found both of my bikes. I have also sold several bikes on Craigslist.

Top Bottom