ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
I have been riding my YZ 250 for about a year now. Kinda thinking that I might want to enter some of the 35+ and/or 250 beginner races at a few of the local tracks in the Spring.

I realize that this is probably a stupid question to most of you guys on this site, but what are th efirst things I need to do.

Do I have to join AMA?
How do I pick a number for my bike?

Any tips from your expeiriences when you first began racing that you could share with me to help shorten my learning curve?

Thanks to all who post constructive replies,
Thanks
rtb

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Not all tracks run AMA sanctioned events, so you need to check with the track you are planning to run at as to whether or not you need AMA & District memberships.

If you do have to join AMA, usually the last 3 numbers of your AMA number is the best choice for your bike number. However, like me, if you are only racing a few events a year, there's nothing at all wrong with selecting a number you happen to like. In the event that you go to a race, and 2 riders in one class have the same number, they will make some accommodations. It's usually a stripe thru the number on one of the bikes. Not a big deal.

The best advice I ever heard for new riders & racers, ride your own race. The first few times you race you will most likely get spanked. Don't worry about that. Just go out there to learn and have fun. At our age, we are in no real danger of going pro, so just have a good time, and don't do anything stupid. Hold your line and try to be predictable, so you don't get someone upset at you. They'll tend to not use you as a berm the next time they lap you..

I rode my first real race at 40. It was at Redbud. It was the most fun I had ever had. I got beat so bad, I think the first moto I finished 2 of the 4 laps. But it was still a lot of fun.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
IndyMX said:
The best advice I ever heard for new riders & racers, ride your own race. The first few times you race you will most likely get spanked. Don't worry about that. Just go out there to learn and have fun. At our age, we are in no real danger of going pro, so just have a good time, and don't do anything stupid. Hold your line and try to be predictable,
This is really good advise!
As far as the numbers, you'll have to check with the district in which you will be racing, some districts only allow assigned numbers, and background colors must coincide with the class you are running.
Also you'll want to choose your class carefully , example; if the district only has one class for the +30,.. theres a very good chance those guys will be fast (A riders) and you'd be better off in the 250/open C class. Just try to complete YOUR race & ride within your abilities. Good Luck and have fun!

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
most texas tracks don't require an ama membership but you should get one anyway.

as was stated above, hold your line, don't move over. the faster guys will find a way around you. i recently had a guy move over in front of me over a small double. my front wheel hit him square in the back. he took a trip to the hospital, i took a trip to the shop for a couple hundred dollars in bent and broken parts.

i advise racing the vet classes rather than the beginner class (unless the turnout is very small). the vets will be faster but they won't crash you.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I agree with everyone above... Don't try to pace with anyone, just ride at your comfort level and be respectful of the faster riders. In your age division people aren't ignorant an arrogant, like you might see in younger divisions, so people look out for beginners and slower bikes and do well to accommodate those riders. The last thing anyone who loves this sport wants to do is scare someone else that might be newly interested. It's good to hear more people getting on the off road scene! Have fun and stay healthy!

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Hey also, you might want to look into some cross-x or enduro events. I ride both mx and OCCRA (Oklahoma Cross Country Racing Association, which incorporates a little mx track layout with enduro like trail set-ups and open grass track like sections.) Riding mx helps a ton with learning to keep speed through turns and how to fly your bike over jumps and things like that, but riding ungroomed layouts will help you build skills in alot of other areas and will build confidence on your bike. Another plus is there are alot of really helpful, friendly people at those cross-x events that aren't trying to compete as heavily as maybe some riders at the track do, so you can really work on pushing yourself and riding harder without working on dodging flying bikes at the track. After getting comfortable with riding hard around other riders, then you might try going to the mx track a little more and not be as uncomfortable with banging bars on berms.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Indy's got you going in the right direction. At many of the smaller tracks most of us experienced (older) fellows wind up going out the gate with "C" or "B" class venues which is a good thing, these guy's know how to get around you providing you hold your line. I highly suggest you not, never, and no way consider a "D" class race. These young birds have more speed than brains and heal faster than guy's like you (at 50+ I wouldn't insult you with "guy's like us")

Good Luck, just have fun... speed comes with confidience, which comes with seat time, whcih comes with ... you know the story.

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
Thanks for all of the great info and suggestions. I have a rm 125 that I do some trail riding on and I enjoy that, so for the guy who suggested cross-country I had not really thought much about that, but it sounds like that would be a lot of fun............

Thanks again

rtb

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
my first race i just rode as hard as i could and remembered my limit.and just ignore everyone else on the track(still pay attention to your sorroundings)but just ride like your the only one out therye.anyone raced at unadilla in new york?

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
None of the series that I've raced in have required AMA membership. I personally don't belong to the AMA because we asked for their help to save a local track, but couldn't get more than a generic form letter out of them...

You WILL get spanked your first time out. Work on being more competitive each race w/out riding WAY over your head... I personally find it impossible not to push a little above my comfort level in the heat of battle, but try to have at least some self control. I'm primarily an offroad/harescramble/enduro/cross country racer, but like to do the occasinal mx race to sharpen my skills....

Top Bottom