jahames7

Nov 29, 2009
so stage one of probably a million was to pull the motor to my project bike and see what i was workin with...

well here it is! as far as i know i attached a pic of the inside of my cylinder. it has a deep gash along the wall of the cylinder. i just bought this bike for nearly nothing so i knew i was in for it when i ripped of the top end. has anybody ever seen this before?? and do you think i should just look for a replacement cylinder or does anybody know anybody good with cylinder repairs? lukesracing.com is not taking any work at the moment so i need to find something else. also does anybody know if a 99 RM 125 cylinder will fit on a 00 RM 125 bottom end??

Attachments

• DSC01000.JPG
    DSC01000.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 289

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You should be really comcerned with where the peice of metal that did that came from. A failing crank bearing is possible.

You could make it into a 144 for a bit more than a fix and replate.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Was there a circlip missing from the piston? Were either of the rings broken? Something def got stuck between the piston and the cylinder to cause that gouge.

You can get it welded and re-plated by lancourt, millennium, or uschrome. There are a few others, but those are the top guys as far as I know. Joe is right, by the time it's welded, replated, and fitted with a new piston, a 144 kit was not much further out. shame too, since the plating in that cylinder looks in great shape aside from that gouge....

J.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would not recommend uschrome. Millinium or just send it to Forward Motion. Cir clip or ring most likely did that. How is the head? Be glad it did not catch the exhaust valve. The cases are getting split? Vintage Bob

jahames7

Nov 29, 2009
the seller claims the cir clip did fail but i was hesitant to believe him till i got the top end off. looks like thats what it was except that the ring was not damaged. when i got the bike the piston had been removed so i think the piston ring that was on the piston when got a hold of it was a replacement. who knows but who cares the bottom end is solid so i just need to decide on whether to repair it to stock bore or go for the 144 kit. can anybody give me some pros and cons to the 144?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The 144 may require some case mods. I've never heard any complaints on the way they run compared to a 125. I have seen a couple complaints of jetting difficulty.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Porkchop said:
BIGGER IS BETTER, don't sweat the details, keep the mod a secret.

As Nixon once said on tape, "Yes, we could do that! (...silence....) "But that would be wrong." (probably a wink at that point if we had video to go with audio)

Top Bottom