New top end --- rich and won't run

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Hi all,

Did a new top end on my '78 IT400. Soaked and went through the carb while the machine work was being done.

Now it starts, and runs if I nurse the throttle, but never revs up strong. It's also smoking big time. I used the jets that were already in the carb, which may have been tuned for 20:1, but am now running Klotz techniplate @ 32:1.

Any obvious things I'm missing?

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
AsheyYz250 said:
Try running the klotz at about 40:1. i had trouble running it in my bike at 32:1 and was fouling plugs like crazy. try that to start.

Thanks Ashey, but I'm breaking in a new top end. I can't convince myself to use even less oil.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Try adjusting the needle, if it's adjustable, and maybe the main jet. Especially if you are committed to 32:1. As someone else recently said on this forum, "pick a ratio, the jet accordingly." Once is is jetted correctly, stick you the mix ratio, if you change it you will have to rejet.

cr_kid

Aug 13, 2005
The smoking is alright because of the amount of oil you are using, try ajusting the timming. I dont know much about your bike so i cant tell you if you have to advance or retart. Is it easy to start? When starting, does it kick back on you sometimes?

Top Bottom