taxxman2k

Oct 13, 2003
Well I tried some searching and I still have some questions. Some might be able to be answered others maybe not ??

Background: I got a 87 Husky 250 WR. Two previous owners, last is a friend. Can't answer all my questions. I am new to the two stroke world (as far as working on them).

1) I have called all over and no one can tell me the fuel mixture. Manual says 4% doing the math I come up with 25:1 that seems rich is this true?

2) recently flooded - drained it all out and got it fired up again, gearbox lube was milky (white as elmers glue) so I flushed it and it is still milky(tan), how many times would you flush? Or could there be something different happening here?

3) Idle - doesn't. I have played with the idle screw and it does nothing for this bike. There is a screw ont he other side that I cannot figure out what it does and have played with it and it does nothing. Only solution was to adjust the throttle cable and it works, but I know this isn't right.

4) sometimes the throttle sticks open, cable seems fine and if I drop it in gear it will come back down, why would it rev like that if the trottle returns to idle possition?

5) starting - other than the kick being on the wrong side, I cannot get it to start by kicking it, we did in the beggining after getting it out of storage for 3 years, but now when it is cold I have to run pushing it and jump on and drop it in 2nd a few times to get it to go?

I think this is it for now :) other than that it is a great bike to ride, I am already having a blast on it in the woods and on the trails if I play with the throttle and don't let it die. I appriciate any help or direction you can give me...

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
1) For woods riding, anything around 40-50:1 mix should be fine.

2) My '00 wr250 blew a water pump seal and kept the oil milky looking. Since it sat up for so long, the water pump seal has probably gone bad.

5) If it's hard to start, it could be because of low compression. Can you turn the crank over with your hand? If so, the rings are probably worn out.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Most recommend 32:1 on a 2-stroke, if you're not pushing the bike hard (revving the daylights out of it) you can go to a leaner mixture (40-50:1).

I agree with the waterpump seal causing the milky trans fluid.

I would pull that carb apart and clean it real good....old fuel in the carb will clog jets and may not allow the throttle spring to close the slide when you let off the throttle. I'm assuming (hoping) you've emptied and cleaned the old fuel out of the tank.
Did your friend say it would start fine before it went into storage? Do a compression test on it too to check those rings.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
My brother's got the same bike. He runs 40:1 with no problems. We also have an 87 430 which had the milky trans oil. Change the water pump seal, check the shaft to make sure its not scored up. If it is, you may need to replace that too. On the 430, the kick start gear needed replacement, made it a lot easier to start. Not sure if that's your problem. I do have a workshop manual for that bike if you need a copy. It may be the same one you already referred to though. Just pm me. Check huskyclub.com, this guy puts out a ton of info. Halls Husqvarna in Springfield, IL is another real good source of info. You'll really have a nice woods bike once you get it square away.

Good Luck,
Bob

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
I would replace the crank seals also.On two strokes when layed up for a while dries out the crank seals allowing air to be sucked in thro the seals.This means starting when hot is difficult (Lean mixture) & also the bike tends to rev up & down without moving the throttle sure sign of worn crank seals.Check the ignition cover for oily residue inside.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
The high idle is probably caused by a lean condition. The crank seal on the flywheel side is the place to look. However, first I would check the air screw in the carb. Make sure it is not backed out too far. The idle stop screw is self evident. The air screw is not so easy. Remember it this way, turning the screw in reduces the air going into the engine at idle, thereby enriching the mixture. Takes a little getting used to. However there is a fuel component to the air screw so simply adjusting the throttle idle stop will not do the same thing.

Chris

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Great info - I really cannot add to what's been suggested. I had an 87' Husky 430XC, and experienced much of what you've described - you're in good hands with this crew.

Nobody could start my Husky, but me - even my Husky guru mechanic - each seem to have their own personality - different from the jap-bikes - but then again, that's what makes Huskys special - good luck...

Trail Tramp

borri

Sep 28, 2003
milky oil? check the breather. my 01 would suck water into the g.box but you had to drown the thing to the seat. would always get a bit though when it was wet. go 40:1 with good fuel and synthetic oil.get some new jets for the carby :they do behave differently from old ones. if the crank seals are worn therefore sucking air spray a little aerostart in the vicinity when the bike idles.
if it revs then it is sucking.
do the easy stuff before you spend heaps of cash!!

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
WD-40 and or ether(diesel engine starter) is the north american equivilent of the areostart stuff that borri just mentioned-great tip to help diagnoise/or help eliminate a sourse of a problem. also 2-strokes just LOVE to have their carbs cleaned out at least once a year,or more if you're still just learning the art of "puddle jumping". good luck!!

Top Bottom