new "used" KDX250 - suspension help!

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hi All,

Well I just bought a 1996 KDX250 (it's a street legal, non-USA version)...

Now I need some help. Since I'm in the Philippines and just bought this bike, I have no service manual for it. I need to know some info ASAP...

#1. How much oil and what viscosity should be in the forks?

#2. Trickier one... there is no oil in the shock... my cycle "fix it" friend thinks I can put some oil in the shock and pressurize it with air (after all its 80% nitrogen he says!) My question is how much oil and what viscosity should I put in the shock? How much air pressure should I use?

I realize this is NOT standard practice, but I have no other alternative right now! I need to try to make the shock limp along until I come back to the US. Then I can have it overhauled properly!

Thank you for any help you can give!

Jim

1996 KDX250
1998 KMX125R

------------------
Jim
'99 KMX125R
'98 KMX125

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
Umm... :eek:
Not sure there is a 96 , pretty sure its only 91-94. As for the air pressure in the forks. Hmm.. Well before i ride i unscrew the screw in the top of the forks to release the air pressure.... :cool: That help any.
I.e. the fork are not pressurized only atmosheric pressure.

fork oil SAE 5W
oil capacity 569 +/- 4ml
oil level 95 +/- 2mm

I just saw a KDX 250 manual on ebay. I would seriously consider getting one bfore i did anything to my forks.

Good Luck

------------------
stu182
93 KDX 250
www.250kdx.homestead.com

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hi Stu,

I am in the Philippines and I think this bike is an Australian model, hence the 1996 model year. It looks just like the 1994 US version except it has turn signals, a speedo with idiot lights, autolube (no premix!), and cool aluminum buddy pegs!

Thanks for the fork info... I know I need to get a manual, but it is not so easy from my location!

Jim

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I guess air would work in the bladder, it simply wont have the temperature stability that pure nitrogen has, because of all the moisture in it. It might cause a corrosion problem, though.

If the shock has been used with no oil or nitrogen pressure in it, I doubt it is going to hold any pressure anyway, the bladder is probably destroyed, along with all the shock internals.

I use ATF type-F in my fork.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

Top Bottom