ghostbiker

May 13, 2006
Hi just brought a Yamaha YZ 125 1991 model.
Its been sitting in the last owners shed for 5 months as he was unable to start it.
Affter changing fuel and plug it now starts affter a few good kicks with choke.
Now when i try to pull away the bike some times dies or if i give it a handfull of throtle seems to lurch forward a couple of inchs then stop then lurch again etc. allmost like a clutch slip but a realy odd one i have never seen before if it is. its allmost like a wave of slip if that makes sence, with peaks and dips.
also if its IN gear and i kick it with the clutch out it wont start but i would expect it to jump forward and it dont. (did this by mistake)
all adjusters seem to be at the min adjusting but moving the adjusters out seem to make little to no diff.

Could this be where its been standing or was i conned and its got a totaly shagged clutch? or is it something i havent thought of like maybe low compresion?

Compleat newbie with this type of bike, i expected to just start it and ride it.

FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
Hello,
Have you checked the case oil level? might be worth pulling off the side cover to inspect the clutch and gear oil. Also if it's been sitting that long I would pull the carb apart and clean it. When the bike is running how does it run? just trying to figure out if the engine runs well but it just doesn't go, or if you have engine problems as well.

~FOX~

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
if i was you, i would pull the clutch cover(just 5 bolts) and take a look at the condition of the plates. since you just bought it you don't really know whats it has been through.
besides then you will know alittle bit more about your bike and the condition of things behind that cover.

what could be happening is there could be grooves in the basket and the friction plates may be cathing only sometimes.
its hard to tell until you look.

ghostbiker

May 13, 2006
Well when its running it sounds like i think it should. although i am in a very built up area so cant have it running for long.
on tuesday i will take it down the local track and i can give the thing a better warm up.
now i have never realy played with engines before so to remove the clutch cover i need to drain oil and replace the seal to i take it? anyone know a good place in the UK online or that delivers to UK cheaply to buy parts? things like seals clutch plates and springs?

Top Bottom