geir54

Oct 30, 2001
I'm planning on racing my first AX this weekend and I noticed on the schedule there is an hour for qualifying. I was just wondering If somone could explain to me how this works. Thanks.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll take a stab at answering anyway. As you know, AX tracks are small and the number of participants are usualy large. There is no way more than a dozen or so riders can fit on the track at the same time so the races are broken up. The race I did, there were about 35 to 40 or more riders in my class so they lined up 10 riders on the gate (full gate), you had to draw a number to see what gate position to chose and which qualifying race you got to ride in. The top 6 finishes from the 1st race went straight to the main. Not sure how they did the next qualifiers but they ended up having 2 qualifiers and a Last chance qualifier the the next top placers got the chance to try again if they didn't qualify on the 1st two races. we ended up with either 12 or 13 riders in the main. I ended up getting the last gate pick and there were 2 people lined up on a 2nd row behind us. There scariest part about AX I thought was the start, in the main my bars were pressed up against the starting house on one side and just behind the guys bars next to me. Directly in front me was the side of the catapult jump (a vertical wall 10' high). There was no place to go if I didn't get the hole-shot except into the wall which was about 50 to 60 feet away. Needless to say I didn't try for the hole-shot :think:

scottsimpson

Dec 16, 2002
I assume you'll be racing in Chillliwack this weekend. I did the race two weeks ago and we had qualifiers just to establish gate position. I don't think anybody in my two categories was left out of the main event. It just depends on how many people are in your class. Good luck this weekend, I think you'll enjoy the track.

Scott

Top Bottom