Status
Not open for further replies.

speirsy

Sep 14, 2007
Hey all as I'm new to the forum I just thought I'd drop in my second post and said hi and ask a few questions.

To answer the how to get advice questions:
Try to include the following info in your first post

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Im 5ft 10inches and around 10.5 stone.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Im quite physically fit and once used to it probably pretty
agrresive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with
friends or ?????
Used with friends in woods/fields and eventually probably
Mx tracks.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes mainly sport bike experience.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Mabye eventually

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your
own bike work?
Yes I'll do most of servicing myself, reasonably compitant
mechanically.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or
4 stroke)?
Yes as stated Yz250 2 stroke or Yz400 4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might
use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yes I do.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Around $1600 to $3000 ( will be bought 2nd hand privately)

10) Do you live in California?
Nope Uk
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I'm new to motorcross and am looking for any buying tips or pointers to buying a Yamaha Yz250 2 stroker or a Yamaha Yz400 4 stroker,about a 99 -03 spec model mainly for greenfield use. I'm unsure which bike to go for and so any comments etc would be appriciated regarding servicing, reliablilty and running costs etc. I'd also like to know which ones are road legal, either way it doesnt matter as I do have a toe bar fitted to the car. Also are there any Uk forums regarding the Yamaha YZ?

Many Thanks

Speirsy :)

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
IMO, starting MX with a 250cc 2-stroke may not be a good idea if you don't have enough off-road experiance, it's the same with YZ400.

I'm 63kgs like you, and I'm a beginner too. I'll buy KX125 tomorrow from a friend. If you think about riding a lot in trails, get a 4-stroke. If your priority is learning MX well, get a 2-stroke.

I recommend CRF250X as a trail bike(it works well on track too), and YZ125 as MX bike. But anyway there are slight differences between brands, so you can get other bikes too, of course.. As I say in all posts, I don't know anything about prices, so if I'm telling more than you can get, sorry..

Jan 3, 2007
speirsy, the YZ250 is going to be eayer to work on, cheaper to maintain, and funner to ride. I highly recomend the YZ250 for you and it can be street legalized here in Canada but you will need to find out the requirements at your DMV.

Sahinoz, could you stop saying what you are buying. Thats not overly helping at all. No one really overly cares about your bike and ridding style. He also doser not have enough money for a CRF250X.

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
I just said that I'm getting KX125, because we have similar weights, I just wanna help, not for anything else..

If you are thinking that I'm repeating the same things, it's not true, you can see that I recommend 125-250cc 2-strokes for MX'ers, I suggest different things to people who has different expectations, DRZ400(S or E), CRF, WR etc.

And prices are really high in here, so I don't know what prices are in the other countries, I'm really sorry for that..

speirsy

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the comments fellas, to be honest I don’t think a 125 will cut it as all my friends have 400cc models and like myself are pretty new to the scene.
My reason for going the Yamaha route is generally because there cheaper than say the CRF250 and I don’t wanna break the bank on my first off roader. Still undecided tho :bang:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
basically, it comes down to, do you want high revving pipey(yet extremely fun) or do you want smoother(easier to handle), the two stroke is going to need cheaper easier work more often,which suits you because none of the work is THAT hard, the four stroke has more to go wrong but wont need as frequent engine work as the two. for you, i would reccomend the two stroke 250 for multiple reasons:A.the engine work is nowhere near as intimidating(at least to me)as the four.B.the two stroke powerband can be a tricky little thing, but when you get the hang of it you will certainly grow to love it and last and definitely least, i have a two stroke 250 and i love it to death, way more than my friends 400 four stroke(both of which are yamahas)
just my two or more cents

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
i got a sx250 and man there is nothing like hitting a ramp in band and just flying by all the 4 strokes especialy in the shorter str8 part of the tracks its wicked how quick u can get in such a small streight shot

Mfillhart13

Oct 8, 2009
If you get a two stroke 125 you will probably be surprised, they have a lot of good kick when you get in the powerband and if you are a good rider you should be able to keep up with your friends in the trails, just don't go drag race, lol. I have an rm 125 race ready and it will pick me up off the ground easily. If you get a bike thats too big for a beginner such as a yz 250 you will most likely get hurt.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Dont start on a MX 250 2 stroke or big bore 4 stroke. I have owned a MX 250 in the past and I own a YZ400F currently...neither are beginner bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom