kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Hi guys, its been a while since i have riden a KDX200
a friend gave me a Kdx200 SR in bits i think it is a 89 DX200G******, i have got it all back together & been out playing with it & it was GOOD!, but there is a serious bog when i crack the throttle open, it is great if you progress your acceleration but who wants to do that, also i need to give it high revs to pull away.
I have got it to idle with the idle screw at nearly 1 turn out & the air/fuel almost out.
My knowledge on carbs are very basic, any help would be appreciated.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It's probably a lean bog when you crack the throttle. Too far out on the airscrew will definitely cause this. Pilot jet or pilot circuit could also be clogged. If the idle screw must be all the way in, I would almost bet on a clogged pilot. Clean it well or replace it with a new one, and make sure to clean all the little passages in the carb very well. A set of guitar strings makes an invaluable tool here.

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Cheers for the quick reply Julien
This is going to sound silly, but is the pilot jet the one the needle goes into or is that the main jet?
I have had both these jets out & blasted them with carb cleaner & any hole i could find & they all seem to be passing out the cleaner.
I have moved the needle down to the second from the top as the exhaust was a bit smokey it was on the second from the bottom, it made no difference to the bog but the fumes are a lot better.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The pilot is the very small one, not the one the jet goes though, but the smaller one that takes a small flat head screwdriver to remove. There is a very tiny hole that passes through the bottom up. You should be able to see light through it when you hold it up. Also, if you post up the numbers that are stamped on both the jets that will help us know where you stand with jetting.

If the carb and jets are perfectly clean, a pretty serious air leak is your next diagnosis.

kawrider241

May 21, 2010
if your carb is clean and you say it runs good at high rpm you probably have kips valves that are broken or stuck in the above 6000rpm(open) position this will cause a massive dogging off the line.

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Cheers guys, Im going out for a play today, i will get the sizes of the jets & let you know how it goes. :ride:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If you get around to it, you can pull the pipe off and the RH kips cover and move the actuator by hand. Looking up into the exhaust port while you do this will tell you if any of the kips valves are stuck/broken like Kawrider suggested. That's certainly a possibility too.

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Well guys i didnt manage to pull the bike apart today, i was enjoying myself toooo much, i dont have a low down bog just been an idiot & forgot you kick down for 1st gear,ive been trying to pull away in 2nd gear, i know i know what a twat!, ive been riding a quad with a reverse gear in that kick down position for too long LOL.
I have got used to riding the bike with a progressive hand but still quite frustrating if i dont catch it right.
I have got a manual here for a 1989-1994 KDX200 but it is for a keihin PWK 35 my carb is a PE 28 so i dont have the standard settings, i believe my bike is an import bearing in mind im in the U.K. my VIN is DX200 (G) 000933 they seem to be (E) & (H) here.
I will have a look at the settings tomorrow weather permitting, Cheers for the advice again guys, wish i knew this site was here before as this is my 3rd KDX200 not that i had a problem with them, just good to know that advice is online :)

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
I got the settings of my PE 28 carb

Pilot 45 Keihin
Main 122 Keihin
Needle N68K
2nd clip from the top

Does this sound right.

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Well Julien D your advice on the guitar strings was great, i pulled the carb apart & cleaned the jets again this time i used a strand of copper wire, the slow jet i thought was clean needed a little poke through, although i could still see daylight i noticed i was removing a little extra debri, i also oiled the airfilter & now the bike runs great & goes when i want it to go :cool:
Big thumbs up John.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom