tang24

Jul 27, 2009
I'm new to this whole bike thing and I would like some advice. I want to buy my first bike. I will be doing mostly trail riding and I have little experience with dirt bikes. I rode a polaris predator atv for 4 years so the I'm used to a clutch. I don't know if I should go a 2 or 4 stroke. I will most like be buying used so lets say under 3k. I'm 5'5 200lbs. I don't plan on being overly aggressive since I'm 30 and I have a family so I really just want to have fun. what do you all recommend. I'm not partial to brands and I'm open to all suggestions. Also as far as maintenance goes, I've don't know a whole lot about bikes, but I can work on pretty much anything so I'm not really worried about having to fix a few things from time to time

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike

tang24

Jul 27, 2009
my buddy has a cr125 that I can have for 500, it's a full size bike, not one with those little tires, but I just don't know if it'll be too small of a motor or I'll want to move up to a bigger bike right away

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
If you are planning on riding trails, a 2 stroke 125 is a poor choice. Those bikes tend to have very little low end power...which makes trail riding difficult. I know because I have tried.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
"Trail riding" means different things to different people.

To some people a trail ride is going off down the dirt forest service roads, 4WD trails, and other gentle stuff. For this type of trail riding a 125cc two stroke is just fine!

To other people a trail is something that a mountain goat once walked down, and the more difficult it is the better. Riding a 125cc on these trails can be quite a challenge.

I have both a 125cc and 250cc two stroke bike. When I don't need the power I prefer to ride the 125, it's lighter and easier to handle.

Rod

jayhedrick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 10, 2009
250x with the right sprocket and exhaust makes a killer trail bike.. I ride a 2 stroke and would much rather be on a 4 stroke in the trails... But I stay on tracks.. Just plan on workin the clutch till your fingers fall off if you end up with the 2 stroke for trail riding..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom