speirsy

Sep 14, 2007
Hey all as I'm new to the forum I just thought I'd drop in my first post and said hi and ask a few questions.

I'm new to motorcross and am looking for any buying tips or pointers to buying a Yamaha Yz250 2 stroker or a Yamaha Yz400 4 stroker,about a 99 -03 spec model mainly for greenfield use. I'm unsure which bike to go for and so any comments etc would be appriciated regarding servicing, reliablilty and running costs etc. I'd also like to know which ones are road legal, either way it doesnt matter as I do have a toe bar fitted to the car.

Many Thanks

Speirsy :)

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
well i ride a yz 250 and my friend rides a yzf400, they are pretty equal when it comes to power, however i would go with the 250 just because im a bigger fan of two strokes, easier to work on(granted you have to work on them more)but thats just my opinion, anyway, either one you get will be more than satisfying power wise, its just whether you want a two or four stroke bike

alexhack

Sep 9, 2007
I can't believe I'm saying this but 4 strokes have more trackable(dummy proof... lol) power but in my mind it takes a better rider to ride a 2 stroke anyways. Go with the 2 stroker all the way. Sound better, smell better, lighter, more agile(less gyro effect in corners), more power per cc, cheaper to refresh/rebuild, cheaper to upgrade, less catostrophic engine falluires(not saying 4 strokes blow-up all the time but when they do.... get your wallet out!)

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
If you're just going to ride in fields go with the two stroke. They're super simple and cheap to work on. Not to mention, who doesn't love the smell of two stroke exhaust?

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
It's a tradeoff, 4 strokes have slightly more power and a more linear power curve making them easier to ride(especially for beginners), but require a lot more money spent in maintenance costs and weigh more. I wouldn't get anything with less power just because you're new, you'll want the extra power soon enough. If you get a motocrosser, it's not going to be street legal no matter which one you go with.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
To address the question about what year. YZ 250's changed from 01 to 02. 99-01's are good bikes, with a poor kickstarter lever. I know, I have an 00 and 01. I personally don't know the difference between an 02 and 03, but newer is generally better. With all that being said, the one that becomes available in the best shape for the money you have, is the best one for you at that time. Search through this site and read what people say about the 2stroke/4stroke thing and comments on the various years. Also, search on how to buy a used bike and the things to look for, such as, worn suspension and air filter condition.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
i love 2 strokes but now a days alot of people are saying that once they rode a 4 stroke they will never go back. but i gotta agree on that sweet sweet smell of a 2 stroke and in my opinion there may be a few more failures but they are usually fixable with little or no money and that 4 stroke is usually well i cant find the words to say it better myself so like ALEXHACK said "catostrophic engine failure" yup thats it, big MONEY -2-stroke it 4 life-

Kaz125

Sep 19, 2007
I'm new to riding, well i've riden before so i got an idea of what im doin. in the process of getting an 03 suzuki 125rm 2 stroke i hear they have more kick and are harder to ride then a 4 but i think i'll have no problem handling it. i just want to know what type of riding would be best to get used to the bike should i start on long flats or go straight into track or trail riding to get a feel for all around riding??

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
tighter trails and sand riding will force you to learn how to take corners faster as you cannot go slow through them without losing control. if your turning left force down on your right peg and keep the wheel spinning all the time. most of all have fun learning, ride with someone better than you, and know your limits.
how do you like your new bike?

Top Bottom